Calculating Distance Traveled During a 5-Minute Bus Acceleration | Homework Help

• Thread starter licorice
  • Start date
In summary: This conversation is about finding the distance traveled by a bus that accelerates from 85 km/hr to 105 km/hr for 5 minutes. In summary, the solution involves using the kinematic equation d = (v_i + v_f)/2 * t, where v_i is the initial velocity of 85 km/hr, v_f is the final velocity of 105 km/hr, and t is the time of 5 minutes. This results in a distance of 25 km.
licorice

Homework Statement

A bus accelerates from 85 km/hr to 105 km/hr on the road. he accelerates for a period of 5 min. how long has he traveled over that period of time?

Homework Equations

x=1/2(v2=v1)t

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure if this is the right equation to use, i get stuck once i plug in the numbers while doing the algebra, and is the mass really needed? It states the weight of the car in the question?

Wich one is v1 and v2? how do i tell?

Physics news on Phys.org
The mass doesn't matter since both the initial speed and final speed are given. Assuming the acceleration is constant it should be (v2-v1)/t

d=vt+(1/2)(a)t^2

Then you know what to do next.

CheckMate said:
The mass doesn't matter since both the initial speed and final speed are given. Assuming the acceleration is constant it should be (v2-v1)/t

d=vt+(1/2)(a)t^2

which one is Acceleration or Time if acceleration says its 5 min?

licorice said:
Wich one is v1 and v2? how do i tell?

V1 is the initial, or starting speed (usually called [itex]v_i[/tex])
V2 is the final speed (usually called [itex]v_f[/tex])

CheckMate said:

d=vt+(1/2)(a)t^2

Although this will work, you don't really need to find the acceleration (and it is constant), just use the basic kinematic equation:

[tex]d = \frac{v_i + v_f}{2}\cdot t[/tex]

Be sure that the units of time agrees with the time units used for velocity.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object changes its velocity over time. It is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude (how fast the velocity is changing) and direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What are the units of acceleration?

The units of acceleration depend on the system of measurement being used. In the International System of Units (SI), acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²). In the United States Customary Units, it is measured in feet per second squared (ft/s²).

4. How does acceleration relate to force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force is directly proportional to acceleration. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. The relationship between force, mass, and acceleration can be expressed as F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

5. What factors can affect acceleration?

Acceleration can be affected by various factors such as the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the mass of the object, and the presence of other forces such as friction. In addition, external factors like air resistance and gravity can also influence acceleration.