Aceleration/Velocity and Integration help

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an expression for the velocity of a planet in orbit using the given gravitational force expression and integration rules. The possibility of using the formula a= Vf-Vi/tf-ti for each axis is questioned, but it is noted that this assumes constant acceleration, which may not be accurate for an elliptical orbit. The conversation ends with a question about the subject matter of the discussion.
FLOUR
Hello, I have expression for the aceleration of a planet in the orbit of another planet and need to get the expression for it's velocity. The aceleration expression came from the Gravitacional Force within the gravitacional field of the planets.

F=ma
F=(-G.m1.m2/r^3) * position_vector

Where r is the scalar value of the position_vector. From here we can get ax and ay.

For the velocity:

1) Is it ok to do it Using
a= Vf-Vi/tf-ti
for each axis (ax ay).?

2) How would it be done using the intergration rules.?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm understanding correctly, you want an expression for the speed of the planet as it orbits. is that not simply [tex] \frac{m_2v^2}{r} = \frac{Gm_1m_2}{r^2} [/tex] canceled down, because that seems far too simple.

finchie_88 said:
If I'm understanding correctly, you want an expression for the speed of the planet as it orbits. is that not simply [tex] \frac{m_2v^2}{r} = \frac{Gm_1m_2}{r^2} [/tex] canceled down, because that seems far too simple.

That assumes the orbit is circular. In general they are ellipses.

In general you can't set [tex]\mathbf{a}=\frac{\mathbf{\Delta v}}{\Delta t}[/tex] because this implicitly assumes that the acceleration is constant. You need to use [tex]\mathbf{v}= \int \mathbf{a(r)} \, dt[/tex] the problem being here that you are integrating over the "wrong" variable. Without dragging the whole Newtonian central force theory into it, I'm not sure what to do to fix that at this point. Off the top of my head I would suggest that perhaps using the facts that the orbit is an ellipse and that equal areas are swept out by the orbit in equal times might be useful.

What subject does this question pertain to? (i.e. is this a Math question or Physics?)

-Dan

1. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object changes its velocity over time, while velocity is the rate at which an object changes its position over time. In other words, acceleration measures the change in velocity, while velocity measures the change in position.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the relationship between acceleration and force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive the object, the less its acceleration will be for the same force.

4. What is integration in relation to acceleration and velocity?

Integration is the process of finding the original function from its derivative. In the context of acceleration and velocity, integration is used to find the velocity or displacement of an object over time when given its acceleration function. This is done by taking the antiderivative of the acceleration function.

5. How is integration used in real-life applications?

Integration is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by a car given its acceleration function, determining the displacement of an object under the influence of gravity, and finding the velocity of a rocket during takeoff. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze real-world phenomena.