Acids, Bases, and Buffers - Calculate Ka and pH?

In summary, to solve for the Ka and pH of a solution containing a weak acid, HA, that is 3% dissociated in a 0.25 M solution, one must write out a mass balance equation, an electroneutrality equation, and an equilibrium equation. It is not recommended to rely on equations unless their rationale is fully understood. A helpful hint is to first solve for [H+] using the given information, and then use that to find Ka, pH, and pKa.
emilyelisabeth

Homework Statement

If a weak acid, HA, is 3% dissociated in a 0.25 M solution, calculate the Ka and the pH of the solution.

Homework Equations

pH = (pKa - log[HA])/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I'm not even sure where to start. I don't have the pH or the pKa - how am I suppose to solve for either one?

I'm really struggling with this worksheet, so I'm sure this won't be my last question.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I may have figured it out...

emilyelisabeth said:

Homework Statement

If a weak acid, HA, is 3% dissociated in a 0.25 M solution, calculate the Ka and the pH of the solution.

Homework Equations

pH = (pKa - log[HA])/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I'm not even sure where to start. I don't have the pH or the pKa - how am I suppose to solve for either one?

I'm really struggling with this worksheet, so I'm sure this won't be my last question.

Your equation is OK but is not helping you.

I recommend going back to basics, otherwise you will always be stuck with these problems.

To solve these problems from first principles there are in general 3 equations to be written out:

A mass balance equation;

an electroneutrality equation ;

an equilibrium equation (definition of the relevant equilibrium constant).

(Then there is often a simplifying approximation to be written, but this is optional in this case).

Do this for all your problems, do not rely on equations like your quoted one unless you are very sure of their rationale.

My helpful hint in this case is just do the first two. Then you should see you can obtain [H+] from the information given. After that you will be able to get Ka, pH and pKa.

1. What is the definition of an acid and a base?

An acid is a chemical compound that donates hydrogen ions (H+) in a solution, while a base is a compound that accepts hydrogen ions. Acids have a pH lower than 7, while bases have a pH higher than 7.

2. What is the purpose of calculating Ka and pH for acids and bases?

Calculating Ka and pH helps determine the strength of an acid or base and its ability to donate or accept hydrogen ions. It also allows for the prediction of how a solution will behave and its potential effects on other substances.

3. How do you calculate Ka for an acid or Kb for a base?

Ka (acid dissociation constant) is calculated by dividing the concentrations of the products (H+ and conjugate base) by the concentration of the reactant (acid). Kb (base dissociation constant) is calculated in the same way but with the concentrations of the products (OH- and conjugate acid) and the concentration of the reactant (base).

4. What is the relationship between pH and pKa?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution, while pKa is a measure of the strength of an acid or base. The lower the pKa value, the stronger the acid and the lower the pH of the solution. Conversely, the higher the pKa value, the weaker the acid and the higher the pH of the solution.

5. How do buffers work and why are they important in chemistry?

Buffers are solutions that resist changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. They work by containing a weak acid and its conjugate base, which can absorb any added hydrogen ions or hydroxide ions, respectively, without significantly changing the pH of the solution. Buffers are important in chemistry because they help maintain a stable pH in a solution, which is crucial for many biological and chemical processes.