Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ACphase angle shift circuit help me

1. Sep 12, 2013 #1
    Dear sir,

Iam looking for hard ware support design circuit for AC phase angle shift as per our desiered degree level,
    For that any circuits is available ?, or we go for coustamized design?
    Help me.

Rajesh.p

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi rajeshputta, welcome to Physics Forums.

Over what +/- range would you like to vary the phase? Is this for a fixed frequency sinusoid, or for a complex waveform, or what? Give an example of the waveform.

4. Sep 14, 2013 #3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear sir,

we are looking for '+' side, phase angle shift.
    frequency is fixed type ( 50Hz).
    amplitude is variable type.
    single waveform only.
    for see the attached file " Phaser 1" we required output waveform.
    kindly support.

rajesh.putta

Attached Files:

5. Sep 14, 2013 #4

NascentOxygen

You are wanting a + phase, and adjustable from just 0 to +90 degrees? Is this a phase delay, or is it a phase advance?

Over what amplitudes will the input range?

You need the output amplitude to equal the input amplitude?

How much % error can you tolerate between the input amplitude and the output amplitude?

It is 50 Hz always?

It is a sinewave always?

6. Sep 15, 2013 #5
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear sir,

1.we need a phase delay
    2. output amplitude and input amplitude is equal always.
    3.yes frequency is 50Hz.
    4. out put should be always sine wave.
    5. input amplitude is variable ( 0 to 110 VAC) and we need output same selected amplitude of input.

see the below attachment for we required output.

rajesh.putta

Attached Files:

7. Sep 15, 2013 #6

NascentOxygen

You need a phase delay of anything from 0° right back to 360° (i.e., ±180°)?

What current will you be drawing from the output, or what load Z will it operate into?

8. Sep 15, 2013 #7
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.You need a phase delay of anything from 0° right back to 360° (i.e., ±180°)?
    Ans: yes

2.What current will you be drawing from the output, or what load Z will it operate into?
    Ans:here current is very small amount ( like 500mA only) it is negligible, we need only voltage wave form.
    and their is no load output side, we connect a function generator for monitoring the voltage sine wave phase shift only.

rajesh.putta

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  9. Sep 15, 2013 #8

NascentOxygen

Rajesh, your 500 mA figure is not negligible to my way of thinking. Well, it is negligible but only in the context of electrical machinery figures! I suspect that is not a representative figure. It would be better if you could specify how many Ohms load the phase-shifter will drive.

My suggestion is an electronics solution based on the all-pass filter. Two stages would give a continuously-variable phase shift of up to ±180°. It's a circuit that changes phase but preserves amplitude.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-pass_filter
    http://www.ecircuitcenter.com/Circuits/op_allpass1/op_allpass1.htm

Being OP-AMP based, it provides a low-power low-voltage output. However, it could be followed by a 1:10 50Hz transformer to could meet your 110V RMS requirement. This would give you an isolated floating AC output, albeit at a very low power. (If you didn't want to use a transformer, you could follow the OP-AMP with a high voltage solid-state amplifier, but this would necessitate a 150VDC supply for that amplifier stage, so this is moving to another level of complexity.)

I don't have any high voltage transistor amplifier circuits that I can point you to, but I'm confident one should not be hard to find.

Before going any further you need to establish a precise figure for the load this will need to drive. What gadgets will you be connecting this to?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook