Action at Distance: Can Brake Speed Exceed C?

• Thread starter Darko M
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the speed of light being the upper limit for all moving reference frames and the possibility of exceeding this limit. It also mentions the use of Born rigidity in relativity and suggests further reading on the subject. The conversation also touches on the derivation of the Lorentz transformation and the role of the Pythagorean theorem in understanding relativity. However, the main focus is on the limitations of exceeding the speed of light and the consequences of attempting to do so.
Darko M
Hello fellows, it just feels good to be physics forum, But I'm still having a nightmare believing that the speed of light should be the upper limit for all moving reference frames.
Now, if we had a long bus whose length is past 3.0 ^8 m, say 3.0 ^12 m, (Oh just assuming) If the driver of this long cosmic bus were to suddenly apply his brakes and if assuming the passengers had no seat belts on, wouldn't the speed experienced by the brake fluid in its action (according to the Bernuli principle) be faster than c, if the distance between the brake pedal and the last brake pad/shoe is say 3.0 ^10 m ?
Also aren't all passengers on board (no matter distance from brake pedal) expected to be lurched forwards almost all simultaneously?
I mean, just to prove that action and reaction are equal and opposite in this scenario?

Physics news on Phys.org
From the FAQ at the top of this forum: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=536289

If you can't use a rigid bar between the brake pedal and the most distant brake shoe to generate a faster-than-light signal, hydraulic fluid won't work any better.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should be possible to use a rigid bar or even a cable or why not?

Darko M said:

Did you read the FAQ that was pointed to ?

I have read the FAQ. but not so convincing.

Darko M said:
Classical rigidity is not available in relativity (this is the kind of rigidity you are used to). What you can do is use Born rigidity: http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath422/kmath422.htm

Likes 1 person
Darko M said:

Well, you're on your own then. The rest of us are convinced.

Darko M said:

You might try googling around (and searching this forum) for "Born Rigidity", "Ehrenfest Paradox", "Bug-Rivet Paradox" to see more. But i will caution you that you're kinda starting starting in the middle by approaching relativity this way; it's generally better to start with the basic principles, nail them down, before you start retraining your intuition about how rigid bodies work at relative speeds near that of light.

Darko M said:
Why not, the logic in the FAQ is completely sound. What specifically do you disagree with? "Not convincing" is not a valid criticism.

Nugatory said:
From the FAQ at the top of this forum: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=536289

If you can't use a rigid bar between the brake pedal and the most distant brake shoe to generate a faster-than-light signal, hydraulic fluid won't work any better.

:smile: But what if it's DOT 4 from Willy Wonka's brake fluid factory?

Last edited by a moderator:
Darko M said:
Maybe you will find the derivation of SR more convincing?

Basically, if we assume, as has been rather well established, that the relativity principle holds (first postulate) and that the speed of light is independent of that of the source (reduced second postulate), then the speed of light is a limit speed.

You can find the derivation for SR's assumption that c is a universal constant in many places, for example here:

http://www.bartleby.com/173/a1.html
(click on the link to XI to see the sketch)

With GR things become more complex but c remains the limit speed locally.

Likes 1 person
I'm impressed by the references given thanks a lot. Well pardon my ignorance, but approached in a different perspective, assuming the bus were already in motion with a relatively low uniform acceleration, as such as would be quickly 'hushed' by a collision with a stationary object, will the farthest passengers be lurched forward 'almost simultaneously' or depending on the time factor of the distance(say now, 3.0 ^11) from the object at rest, relative to speed of sound in the bus' material? My not been convinced actually borders around an event as this.

Also in in deriving the Lorentz transformation there is a semblance of the Pythagoras theorem which can connotes some considerable level of rigidity? I am still doing some reading on SR. But I must confess I've got a lot more reading to do.

Darko M said:
assuming the bus were already in motion with a relatively low uniform acceleration, as such as would be quickly 'hushed' by a collision with a stationary object, will the farthest passengers be lurched forward 'almost simultaneously' or depending on the time factor of the distance(say now, 3.0 ^11) from the object at rest, relative to speed of sound in the bus' material?
The speed of sound in steel is about 6E3 m/s. So it would take 5E7 s for an impulse to travel 3E11 m in steel. The passengers won't lurch until that impulse arrives.

Darko M said:
the Pythagoras theorem which can connotes some considerable level of rigidity?
Huh? The pythagorean theorem is about geometric distance and has no connotation about any material properties whatsoever.

Thank you Dalespam; answers well noted.

Related to Action at Distance: Can Brake Speed Exceed C?

What is action at distance?

Action at distance is a concept in physics that describes the interaction between objects that are not in physical contact with each other. This means that the objects can affect each other's behavior without physically touching.

Can brake speed exceed the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. Therefore, it is not possible for an object's brake speed to exceed the speed of light.

What factors affect the brake speed of an object?

The brake speed of an object is affected by its mass, the amount of force applied, and the resistance or friction present in its surroundings. These factors determine the object's acceleration and ultimately its brake speed.

How does action at distance relate to brake speed?

In the case of action at distance, the objects are not in physical contact, so the force causing the brake speed is not applied directly. Instead, the force is transmitted through a field, such as gravity or electromagnetism, to affect the object's motion.

Can action at distance be explained by classical physics?

No, action at distance cannot be explained by classical physics. It is a phenomenon that is better understood through the theories of quantum mechanics and relativity. These theories take into account the behavior of particles at the subatomic level and the effects of space and time on the objects' motion.