Active Force Diagrams/ Virtual Work

In summary, the conversation discusses an active force diagram and equations for y and x, where y=2Lcos(θ) and x=2Lsin(θ). The speaker suggests adding arrows and labeling the angle θ in the diagram for better visualization.
RSG_9

Homework Statement

image1.png

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) y=2Lcos(θ)
x=2Lsin(θ)

b)
vgrebfgd.png

I haven't started the next question as I want to make sure the active force diagram is correct first..

If somebody could just check the diagram and help me with where I'm going wrong if I have done.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! I can definitely help you with your active force diagram. From what I can see, your equations for y and x look correct. As for the diagram, it seems like you have labeled the forces correctly. However, I would suggest adding arrows to indicate the direction of the forces. This will make it easier to visualize the forces acting on the system. Also, make sure to include the angle θ in your diagram to show the direction of the forces in relation to the x and y axes. Keep up the good work!

1. What is an Active Force Diagram?

An Active Force Diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on a system, such as a structure or object. It shows the magnitude and direction of each force, as well as their points of application.

2. How is an Active Force Diagram different from a Free Body Diagram?

A Free Body Diagram only shows the external forces acting on a system, while an Active Force Diagram also includes internal forces. Internal forces are forces that act within the system, such as tension or compression in a structure.

3. What is Virtual Work in relation to Active Force Diagrams?

Virtual Work is a method used to calculate the displacement of a system caused by a force. In Active Force Diagrams, it is used to determine the displacement of a structure or object under the influence of internal forces.

4. How do you calculate Virtual Work in an Active Force Diagram?

To calculate Virtual Work, the force acting on the system is multiplied by the displacement caused by that force. The sum of all these products is the total Virtual Work.

5. What are some real-world applications of Active Force Diagrams and Virtual Work?

Active Force Diagrams and Virtual Work are commonly used in structural engineering to analyze the stability and strength of buildings and other structures. They are also used in physics and mechanics to analyze the movements and forces of objects, such as in the design of machinery and vehicles.