Active Users: Defining, E-mails, & Disabling Options

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary, active users on the forum are defined as those who are currently viewing the forum, including both registered members and unregistered guests. The User CP button allows users to customize their account settings, including options for receiving email notifications for subscribed threads. The length of time for being classified as an active user may depend on the time option chosen when logging in. The orange symbol at the top right corner of the forum allows for subscribing to the RSS feed and bookmarking.
ehrenfest
On the RHS of the forum homepage, there is a list of "active users". How do you define an "active user"? Is it true that you do not send out e-mails when posts are made to threads that I am subscribed to if the posts are made when I am an active user? That would explain lots of missing e-mails that have been bothering me. If so, can I disable this option?

Physics news on Phys.org
Active users ((### members and #### guests)) are those persons viewing the forums at any given time. The members are registered and the guests are unregistered.

At the top for the forum are some buttons. User CP is your control panel where one can set options on the account. One may set an option to have emails sent to one on a particular thread, which is what the subscription is. I do not subscribe to threads, so I am not sure what problem one is having.

Click on User CP, on the left click on Edit Options , the check under Messaging & Notification and make sure your options are set as desired.

There is a check for subscriptions also on the LHS of the User CP page.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Active users ((### members and #### guests)) are those persons viewing the forums at any given time.

And how exactly does the PF server know when I am looking at my computer screen and whether the tab with the PF site is minimized or not? They must define active as a length of time after you send or receive data from the server. I am asking what time length that is.

When one logs in, I believe there is a time option. I always login forever, but if I logoff my PC or shut it down, I have to login into PF again.

I have never been given a time option and I have logged in at least 200 times.

Under Edit Options > Messaging & Notification

One will find:

When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.

The choices for Default Thread Subscription Mode are:
Do not subscribe
No email notification
Instant email notification
Daily email notification
Weekly email notification

I'm not sure how it works when one is active.

One can check subscriptions on the LHS of User CP page.

When I leave the PF website in a window but don't do anything for 15-20 minutes I drop off the active users list. But a simple way to check if there's been a reply to a subscribed thread since you last checked is to just click on the user CP button at the top left and all the threads you've subscribed to with a new reply since your last activity will be displayed. There is also a page where you can view all your subscribed threads in case you think you've missed something.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
When one logs in, I believe there is a time option. I always login forever, but if I logoff my PC or shut it down, I have to login into PF again.

Astronuc, how do you login "forever". I'm having the strange thing that after some small period of time I get logged out automatically or is this not related?

[Edit]
It seems it is explained here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=218818

Last edited:
Since we are discussing buttons and stuff, what is the orange symbol near the top RHS corner, right next to "search this forum", and which says "Subscribe to ... RSS feed" when you put the cursor on it?

Shooting Star said:
Since we are discussing buttons and stuff, what is the orange symbol near the top RHS corner, right next to "search this forum", and which says "Subscribe to ... RSS feed" when you put the cursor on it?

Seems a new box has been added with a rss feed and bookmarks etc. It appears under the active user list to me. Perhaps he was experimenting with different locations for it.

What is the definition of active users?

Active users are individuals who regularly engage with a particular system or platform within a specified time period. This can include logging in, making purchases, or interacting with content.

Why is defining active users important?

Defining active users is important for businesses and organizations as it allows them to track and measure user engagement, which can help inform decisions and strategies for improving user experience and increasing customer retention.

How are e-mails used to track active users?

E-mails can be used to track active users by sending out notifications, reminders, or updates to users and then monitoring their responses and actions. For example, if a user opens or clicks on an e-mail, it can be recorded as an active engagement.

What options are available for disabling active users?

There are various options for disabling active users, depending on the platform or system being used. This can include manually disabling accounts, setting expiration dates for accounts, or implementing automated processes for removing inactive users.

How can active users be encouraged and retained?

To encourage and retain active users, businesses and organizations can offer incentives, rewards, or personalized experiences to keep users engaged and interested in the platform or system. Additionally, regularly analyzing user behavior and addressing any issues or concerns can help improve overall user satisfaction and retention.