Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Active users

1. Mar 2, 2008 #1
    On the RHS of the forum homepage, there is a list of "active users". How do you define an "active user"? Is it true that you do not send out e-mails when posts are made to threads that I am subscribed to if the posts are made when I am an active user? That would explain lots of missing e-mails that have been bothering me. If so, can I disable this option?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2008 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Active users ((### members and #### guests)) are those persons viewing the forums at any given time. The members are registered and the guests are unregistered.

At the top for the forum are some buttons. User CP is your control panel where one can set options on the account. One may set an option to have emails sent to one on a particular thread, which is what the subscription is. I do not subscribe to threads, so I am not sure what problem one is having.

Click on User CP, on the left click on Edit Options , the check under Messaging & Notification and make sure your options are set as desired.

There is a check for subscriptions also on the LHS of the User CP page.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  4. Mar 2, 2008 #3
    And how exactly does the PF server know when I am looking at my computer screen and whether the tab with the PF site is minimized or not? They must define active as a length of time after you send or receive data from the server. I am asking what time length that is.

5. Mar 2, 2008 #4

Astronuc

When one logs in, I believe there is a time option. I always login forever, but if I logoff my PC or shut it down, I have to login into PF again.

6. Mar 2, 2008 #5
    I have never been given a time option and I have logged in at least 200 times.

7. Mar 2, 2008 #6

Astronuc

Under Edit Options > Messaging & Notification

One will find:

When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.

The choices for Default Thread Subscription Mode are:
    Do not subscribe
    No email notification
    Instant email notification
    Daily email notification
    Weekly email notification

I'm not sure how it works when one is active.

One can check subscriptions on the LHS of User CP page.

8. Mar 3, 2008 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I leave the PF website in a window but don't do anything for 15-20 minutes I drop off the active users list. But a simple way to check if theres been a reply to a subscribed thread since you last checked is to just click on the user CP button at the top left and all the threads you've subscribed to with a new reply since your last activity will be displayed. There is also a page where you can view all your subscribed threads in case you think you've missed something.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  9. Mar 4, 2008 #8
    Astronuc, how do you login "forever". I'm having the strange thing that after some small period of time I get logged out automatically or is this not related?

[Edit]
    It seems it is explained here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=218818

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  10. Mar 6, 2008 #9

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Since we are discussing buttons and stuff, what is the orange symbol near the top RHS corner, right next to "search this forum", and which says "Subscribe to ... RSS feed" when you put the cursor on it?

11. Mar 6, 2008 #10

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seems a new box has been added with a rss feed and bookmarks etc. It appears under the active user list to me. Perhaps he was experimenting with different locations for it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?