AC Circuit Analysis: Solving Example with Confusing Concepts

In summary, the author is explaining AC circuit analysis and how to solve equations. They use the terms impedance and phase shift. The author also includes a picture of power being consumed.
bardia sepehrnia
TL;DR Summary
Difficulty understanding some concepts; RMS of voltage and current with phasor.
I'm reading this chapter in Electrical Engineering book regarding AC circuit analysis where there is a solved example which I've attached, but there are some concepts that are confusing me.
First, why and how do we know that the phasor value of voltage is: -pi/2
Note: I do understand that 14.14/√2 ≈ 10 but I don't get where -π/2 comes from?
1612277409541.png

Second, earlier in the book and before the solved example the following formulas are stated:
1612277382210.png
1612277691856.png

So why in calculation of average power, the italic V and I are not used. Is that a mistake on the book? Shouldn't average power only be real number and not complex? Also in the solved example only real values of I and V is used, yet the V and I are not italic.

Engineering news on Phys.org
##\angle\frac{\pi}{2}## is a phase shift of 90 degrees. That is equivalent to multiplying by j as in ##(R+j\omega L)##

Hi,
bardia sepehrnia said:
First, why and how do we know that the phasor value of voltage is: -pi/2
That's easy: ##\ \sin(\omega t) = \cos (\omega t - {\pi\over 2})##
bardia sepehrnia said:
  1. So why in calculation of average power, the italic V and I are not used. Is that a mistake on the book?
  2. Shouldn't average power only be real number and not complex?
  3. Also in the solved example only real values of I and V is used, yet the V and I are not italic.
I agree it's confusing. They make a mess of it in example solution 7.1..
  1. Yes. in example solution 7.1 it is clear that ##\tilde{\bf\text{V}}=10## and ##\tilde{\bf\text{I}}=2## and 7.16 & 17 wants ##\tilde V## and ##\tilde I##
  2. Yes. And it is; do you see it otherwise ?
  3. Isn't this the same question as 1. ?
You pasted a ##P_{\text{av}}= ... ## picture after the 'Throughout...' where they are more consistent .

Likes bardia sepehrnia
Thank you very much! It sounds very simple after you explained it but I just started on this topic and I'm a mechanical engineering student. Our uni started teaching us AC circuit analysis before any prior knowledge on electricity. I had to self study everything just to understand what the teacher says. First lesson he started solving equations with impedance and that was the first time I heard that term!

Likes dlgoff and BvU

1. What is AC circuit analysis?

AC circuit analysis is the study of electrical circuits that involve alternating current (AC) rather than direct current (DC). It involves analyzing the behavior of circuit components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, when an AC voltage is applied.

2. How is AC circuit analysis different from DC circuit analysis?

The main difference between AC and DC circuit analysis is the presence of time-varying signals in AC circuits. In DC circuits, the voltage and current remain constant, while in AC circuits, they change periodically. This requires the use of complex numbers and phasors in AC circuit analysis, which are not needed in DC circuit analysis.

3. What are some common concepts that are confusing in AC circuit analysis?

Some common concepts that are confusing in AC circuit analysis include impedance, reactance, and phase angle. Impedance is the total opposition to current flow in an AC circuit and is a combination of resistance and reactance. Reactance is the opposition to current flow due to capacitance or inductance. Phase angle is the difference in phase between the voltage and current in an AC circuit.

4. How do you solve an AC circuit analysis problem?

To solve an AC circuit analysis problem, you will need to follow a systematic approach. First, identify the type of circuit (series, parallel, or combination), then calculate the total impedance using Ohm's law. Next, use Kirchhoff's laws to determine the voltage and current in the circuit. Finally, use complex numbers and phasors to represent the AC components and solve for the unknown variables.

5. What are some practical applications of AC circuit analysis?

AC circuit analysis has many practical applications, including designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits, understanding the behavior of power systems, and analyzing the performance of electrical devices such as motors and generators. It is also essential in the design and maintenance of communication systems, such as radios and televisions.