1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adding 2 vectors. One is 20 degrees below x-axis

1. Sep 9, 2008 #1
    I've done many other problems like this and understood them all but when it comes to 20 degrees below the x-axis it threw me off. I tried putting the angle to 340 degrees but that was incorrect. I know something has to be negative, i just can't keep guessing at getting it wrong. Hope someone can help!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A vector A has a magnitude of 51.0 m and points in a direction 20.0° below the x axis. A second vector, B, has a magnitude of 70.0 m and points in a direction 43.0° above the x axis. Using the component method of vector addition, find the x- and y- components of the vector C.

2. Relevant equations

Vector A + Vector B = New Vector C

Cx = Ax + Bx
    Cy = Ay + By

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm really not sure. In the book it says to put vector B at the head of vector A. I just drew each vector as a separate triangle and solved for Ax, Ay and so on. Like i said before, i just need to know what to do with the "20 degrees below the X-axis. Is it -20? 340? I've tried both and they came out wrong so help! Thanks again.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2008 #2
    "I'm really not sure. In the book it says to put vector B at the head of vector A."

This is one way of finding C, but is not the method you are asked to use

"I just drew each vector as a separate triangle and solved for Ax, Ay and so on."

This sounds like what they are asking you to do.

"Like i said before, i just need to know what to do with the "20 degrees below the X-axis. Is it -20? 340? I've tried both and they came out wrong so help! Thanks again."

You should be able to use either -20 deg or +340 deg. Make sure your calculator is i degree mode, if that's how you chose to do the calculation.

In any case

Ax = 51 cos(-20) = 51 cos(340) = 49.9

Ay = 51 sin(-20) = 51 sin(340) = -17.4

4. Sep 9, 2008 #3
    Thanks a lot for the help! This is a great forum. I'm glad I found it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?