Adding 2 vectors. One is 20 degrees below x-axis

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving vector addition and finding the x- and y-components of a vector C. The speaker is struggling with the angle of 20 degrees below the x-axis and is unsure if it should be -20 or 340. The suggested method is to draw each vector as a separate triangle and solve for the components. The output also includes the correct calculations for Ax and Ay.
dlouis
I've done many other problems like this and understood them all but when it comes to 20 degrees below the x-axis it threw me off. I tried putting the angle to 340 degrees but that was incorrect. I know something has to be negative, i just can't keep guessing at getting it wrong. Hope someone can help!

Homework Statement

A vector A has a magnitude of 51.0 m and points in a direction 20.0° below the x axis. A second vector, B, has a magnitude of 70.0 m and points in a direction 43.0° above the x axis. Using the component method of vector addition, find the x- and y- components of the vector C.

Homework Equations

Vector A + Vector B = New Vector C

Cx = Ax + Bx
Cy = Ay + By

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure. In the book it says to put vector B at the head of vector A. I just drew each vector as a separate triangle and solved for Ax, Ay and so on. Like i said before, i just need to know what to do with the "20 degrees below the X-axis. Is it -20? 340? I've tried both and they came out wrong so help! Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
"I'm really not sure. In the book it says to put vector B at the head of vector A."

This is one way of finding C, but is not the method you are asked to use

"I just drew each vector as a separate triangle and solved for Ax, Ay and so on."

This sounds like what they are asking you to do.

"Like i said before, i just need to know what to do with the "20 degrees below the X-axis. Is it -20? 340? I've tried both and they came out wrong so help! Thanks again."

You should be able to use either -20 deg or +340 deg. Make sure your calculator is i degree mode, if that's how you chose to do the calculation.

In any case

Ax = 51 cos(-20) = 51 cos(340) = 49.9

Ay = 51 sin(-20) = 51 sin(340) = -17.4

Thanks a lot for the help! This is a great forum. I'm glad I found it.

What is the process for adding two vectors?

The process for adding two vectors involves breaking each vector down into its x and y components, adding the x components together and then the y components together, and then combining the resulting x and y values to form a new vector.

How do you determine the angle of the resulting vector?

The angle of the resulting vector can be determined using trigonometry. First, calculate the tangent of the angle by dividing the y component by the x component. Then, use the inverse tangent function to find the angle in radians. Finally, convert the angle to degrees if necessary.

What does it mean for one vector to be "20 degrees below the x-axis"?

When a vector is below the x-axis, it means that its y component is negative. In this case, the vector is also rotated 20 degrees counterclockwise from the positive x-axis.

How do you add vectors that are in different quadrants?

To add vectors in different quadrants, you must first determine the direction and magnitude of each vector using trigonometry. Then, add the x and y components separately and combine them to form the resulting vector.

Can you add more than two vectors at a time?

Yes, you can add more than two vectors at a time by following the same process of breaking them down into components and adding them together. The resulting vector will be the sum of all the individual vectors.