Angular Momentum: Adding Electron Spin in Hydrogen Atom

• Thread starter indecicia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angular
In summary, the problem involves determining the possible values and probabilities of the angular momentum of an electron in the state |n=5, l=1, s=0> of a hydrogen atom. By adding the angular momenta and considering spin up as +1/2, the possible values for the angular momentum are 3/2 and 1/2. The coefficients for these values can be found using laddering, leading to the probabilities of each value.
indecicia

Homework Statement

An electron with spin up is in the state |n=5, l=1, s=0> of the hydrogen atom. If you could measure the angular momentum of the electron alone, what values might you get and what is the probability of each.

Homework Equations

This problem involves adding angular momenta.
l-s,...,|l-s|= ?

The Attempt at a Solution

spin up means the spin is +1/2
The state ket for the electron is |l=1,s=0>|1/2, 1/2>
1+ 1/2= 3/2
1 - 1/2= 1/2
These are the two possible values for the angular momentum of the electron, so it must be something like
|1,0>|1/2,1/2>= ____|3/2,1/2>+ _____|1/2,1/2>
I don't know how to find the coefficients which (squared) would give the probabilities. Laddering? But where do I start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually I have to find the possible angular momenta squared and their probabilities but it amounts to the same thing.

i think i got it.

I got to thinking about this topic and came up with some problems of my own, so I started a thread in Quantum Physics under the heading "Change of Basis for Spin States". Just thought I'd point it out in case you're interested.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measurement of the rotational motion of an object around an axis. In the context of electron spin in a hydrogen atom, it refers to the rotation of the electron around the nucleus.

2. How is electron spin represented in a hydrogen atom?

Electron spin is represented by the quantum number "s". It can have a value of either +1/2 or -1/2, indicating the direction of the electron's spin.

3. How does adding electron spin affect the energy levels in a hydrogen atom?

Adding electron spin introduces a new quantum number, "ms", which can have values of +1/2 or -1/2. This results in the splitting of energy levels, known as the fine structure of the hydrogen atom.

4. How does electron spin contribute to the stability of the hydrogen atom?

Electron spin plays a crucial role in the stability of the hydrogen atom. The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two electrons in an atom can have the same set of quantum numbers. This means that the two electrons in the 1s orbital of a hydrogen atom must have opposite spins, making the atom more stable.

5. What is the significance of electron spin in chemistry?

Electron spin is a fundamental property of electrons and plays a significant role in chemical bonding and reactions. It determines the magnetic properties of atoms and molecules, which can affect their chemical and physical properties. Understanding electron spin is crucial for understanding many chemical phenomena.