Adding angular momentum of 2 electrons

In summary, the rules for addition of angular momentum vectors can be used to show that for two electrons with l1=1, l2=3, s1=1/2, s2=1/2, there are 12 possible values of (s',l',j'). This is found by considering the total spin S'=S1+S2 and total orbital angular momentum L'=L1+L2, and using the rules for combining these values. Taking into account the possible values of s' and l', there are 6 possible values for j'. The remaining 6 values are found by considering the quantum number m_{l}, but this is not discussed in the given information.
Andrusko

Homework Statement

Use the rules for addition of angular momentum vectors to show that there are 12 possible values of (s',l',j') for two electrons with l1=1, l2=3, s1=1/2, s2=1/2.

Homework Equations

Total Spin S'=S1 + S2
Total orbital angular momentum L'=L1 + L2

Total angular momentum of system J'=L'+S'

The Attempt at a Solution

the spin vector S' can have eigenvalues s'=0,1 (I don't know why it just written in the textbook)

the L' vector apparentely has the rule that l' = abs(l1-l2) ... l1+l2

so that gives l' = 2, 3, 4

and apparentely j'= l'+1/2,l'-1/2

So two j' for each l' means a total of 6 states. Where's the other 6?

My only thought is that you have to somehow take m_{l} quantum numbers into account but I'm totally confused about that because I don't understand anything about m_{l} quantum numbers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Andrusko said:

Homework Statement

Use the rules for addition of angular momentum vectors to show that there are 12 possible values of (s',l',j') for two electrons with l1=1, l2=3, s1=1/2, s2=1/2.

Homework Equations

Total Spin S'=S1 + S2
Total orbital angular momentum L'=L1 + L2

Total angular momentum of system J'=L'+S'

The Attempt at a Solution

the spin vector S' can have eigenvalues s'=0,1 (I don't know why it just written in the textbook)

the L' vector apparentely has the rule that l' = abs(l1-l2) ... l1+l2
The same rule applies for s', so s' ranges from |1/2-1/2|=0 to 1/2+1/2=1.
so that gives l' = 2, 3, 4

and apparentely j'= l'+1/2,l'-1/2
You want to use the values for s', which as you noted above are 0 and 1, not 1/2.
So two j' for each l' means a total of 6 states. Where's the other 6?

My only thought is that you have to somehow take m_{l} quantum numbers into account but I'm totally confused about that because I don't understand anything about m_{l} quantum numbers.

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is defined as the product of the moment of inertia and the angular velocity.

How is angular momentum calculated?

The angular momentum of an object can be calculated by multiplying its moment of inertia by its angular velocity.

How is angular momentum conserved?

In a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant. This means that the sum of the angular momentum of all objects within the system stays the same, even if individual objects exchange angular momentum with each other.

What is the formula for adding angular momentum of 2 electrons?

The formula for adding angular momentum of 2 electrons is L = L1 + L2, where L is the total angular momentum, L1 is the angular momentum of the first electron, and L2 is the angular momentum of the second electron.

Why is the addition of angular momentum of 2 electrons important?

The addition of angular momentum of 2 electrons is important because it helps us understand the behavior of atoms and molecules. The total angular momentum of an atom or molecule is a key factor in determining its stability and reactivity.