What is the Maximum Magnitude of a Vector Sum?

In summary, the resultant force is maximum when the vectors are added head to tail and it is minimum when they are in opposite directions.
vorse

Homework Statement

A vector of magnitude 20 is added to a vector of magnitude 25. The magnitude of this sum might be:
A. Zero
B. 3
C. 12
D. 47
E. 50

Homework Equations

Probable the Pythagoreans and use of sin, cos, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to add the magnitude of vector w/out knowing the angle or the different components.
Thanks for looking at the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
vorse said:

Homework Statement

A vector of magnitude 20 is added to a vector of magnitude 25. The magnitude of this sum might be:
A. Zero
B. 3
C. 12
D. 47
E. 50

Homework Equations

Probable the Pythagoreans and use of sin, cos, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to add the magnitude of vector w/out knowing the angle or the different components.

Thanks for looking at the problem.

Welcome to PF.

Maybe eliminate the answers that aren't possible?

I know what the answer it. I just don't know how the answer key got there. There are some rules that constrain the addition/subtraction of magnitude of vectors, but I don't know what they are. I am searching the net but to no avail.P.S
Thanks for the welcome.

vorse said:
I know what the answer it. I just don't know how the answer key got there. There are some rules that constrain the addition/subtraction of magnitude of vectors, but I don't know what they are. I am searching the net but to no avail.

P.S
Thanks for the welcome.

If you have those two force acting on a body, when would the resultant force be maximum and when would they be minimum?

vorse said:
I know what the answer it. I just don't know how the answer key got there. There are some rules that constrain the addition/subtraction of magnitude of vectors, but I don't know what they are. I am searching the net but to no avail.

P.S
Thanks for the welcome.

You know that depending on direction a vector can be added head to tail right? So the biggest value the result can be is ... |20| + |25|

Likewise the smallest value the result can be is when they are in opposite directions. |25| - |20|

Looks like there is only one answer that satisfies these conditions.

LowlyPion said:
You know that depending on direction a vector can be added head to tail right? So the biggest value the result can be is ... |20| + |25|

Likewise the smallest value the result can be is when they are in opposite directions. |25| - |20|

Looks like there is only one answer that satisfies these conditions.

Yea, this was the rule I was looking for. Thanks a lot Pion.

Related to What is the Maximum Magnitude of a Vector Sum?

1. What is the definition of magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is the length or size of the vector. It is a scalar quantity and is represented by the absolute value of the vector.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

To calculate the magnitude of a vector, you use the Pythagorean theorem. This involves finding the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. Alternatively, you can use the magnitude formula, which is the square root of the dot product of the vector with itself.

3. What does the magnitude of a vector indicate?

The magnitude of a vector indicates the strength or intensity of the vector's quantity. In physics, it can represent the force or velocity of an object. In mathematics, it can represent the size or length of a line segment.

4. Can the magnitude of a vector be negative?

No, the magnitude of a vector cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the size or length of the vector. However, the vector itself can have a negative direction, which is indicated by a negative sign in front of its components.

5. Does the direction of a vector affect its magnitude?

No, the direction of a vector does not affect its magnitude. The magnitude only depends on the length of the vector and is independent of its direction. However, the direction is important in determining the overall effect of a vector in a given situation.