Adding more meteorites to my collection

• I
  • Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
In summary: So none of it is in the form of crashed asteroids or anything like that. There is probably also some discussion in the literature about the parent body of the Tagish Lake meteorite which is thought to be an Oort cloud object but it's not an ID'd body so it's just extrapolation and inference of the isotopic ratios that were measured. In summary, the conversation covers the topic of collecting meteorites, with the participants expressing their fascination with these space rocks and the desire to start a collection. They discuss the different types of meteorites and their origins, such as the NWA 6903 from Morocco and the Mt Dooling from Western Australia. They also mention the Widmanst
Vanadium 50 said:
You're not going to be happy until you've reassembled an entire asteroid, are you? :wink:
Haha Yeah, I gave up on putting a large amateur radio antenna tower up in the back yard. Too much govt (council) red tape
Don't see anything in their rules regarding the assembly of a 20m diameter asteroid :wink: :smile:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes berkeman
Astronomy news on Phys.org
"Asteroid, officer? No, this is just a rock."

Likes davenn
davenn said:
Don't see anything in their rules regarding the assembly of a 20m diameter asteroid

Don't see any rules against putting a tower up on an asteroid. "Officer, these laws apply to Earth. This is 123456 Watchamacallit".

Likes PhDeezNutz and davenn
lots more goodies arrived in the post today ...

Top row, left to right ...

Kheneg Ljouad 0.8g; NWAxxx Pallasite 3.88g; 2 x Vaca Muerta 1.8g, 5.57g; Benenitra 5.3g; Buzzard Coulee 13.6g; D'Orbigny 0.219g

Middle row, left to right ...

Chergach 2.195g total; NWA12949 (Meso.) 3.07g; NWA4482 Pallasite 9.4g; 2 x NWA xxx OC; Muonionalusta pendant

Bottom row, left to right ...

5 x NWA xxx OC's

( NWA = Northwest Africa; OC = Ordinary Chondrite)
20200720_173455sm.jpg

Those ones with the NWA Chondrite label are ones that have not been lab. classified
They usually get labelled as NWA xxx :smile: cheers
Dave

Likes Hamiltonian and berkeman
Well after being "lost" for 1.5 months somewhere in Sydney, by Australia Post and them denying that they had even scanned it
( even though their own tracking site said otherwise) I am so elated that out of the blue on Fri 31 July that it finally turned up

I welcome the arrival of my Gatuto piece, all 11.56g of it.

20200801_105852sm.jpg

I really thought I was never going to see this one. just the day before it arrived,
I had asked the seller if he had any other pieces left for sale

Dave

Likes Astronuc, Hamiltonian and berkeman
You haven't posted a new meteorite in 3 weeks...are you OK?

What is a UNWA compared to a regular NWA and why are they 10x cheaper?

• Haha
Likes DennisN, davenn and Bystander
Vanadium 50 said:
You haven't posted a new meteorite in 3 weeks...are you OK?

Hi ya, :smile:

Yes, still kicking. I have had 2 new postal arrivals and there are 3 more parcels on the way.
Hopefully one of those 3 I will see this coming week

The 2 that arrived one was from Brett, a seller in PA state of the USA

20200817ssm.jpg

Top left was a gift he included 3 fossil teeth left to right

L -- Hemipristis is a genus of weasel sharks, family Hemigaleidae. It contains one extant species, the snaggletooth shark (H. elongata) and several extinct species. Hemipristis has two distinct types of teeth in each section of its jaw.

M -- Tiger Shark tooth -- The tiger shark is a species of requiem shark and the only extant member of the genus Galeocerdo.
It is a large macropredator, capable of attaining a length over 5 m.

R -- Stingray tooth - I don't know which species

----------

Top right is a new meteorite find ( but an old fall) the Erg Chech 002 from the desert area of SW Algeria.
One of the things that indicate an old fall is the total lack of fusion crust on any of the material found. It has long ago been eroded off. This meteorite was only classified ~ 4 weeks ago as an Achondrite-ungrouped. The Meteoritical Bulletin entry ...
https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?sea=Erg+Chech+002&sfor=names&ants=&nwas=&falls=&valids=&stype=contains&lrec=50&map=ge&browse=&country=All&srt=name&categ=All&mblist=All&rect=&phot=&strewn=&snew=0&pnt=Normal table&code=72475

This an exciting new find as the meteorite is so very different to any other one because of its visual appearance colour and mineral content.
Many seasoned collectors have said " had they seen this rock without knowing that it was a meteorite, they would have said it wasn't one"

It contains distinguishing long green - yellow crystals of diopside ( a pyroxene)

------------

The lower meteorite is The Tassedet 004, an H5 melt breccia
explanation ...
Ordinary chondrite: A major class of chondrites, distinguished by sub-solar Mg/Si and refractory/Si ratios, oxygen isotope compositions that plot above the terrestrial fractionation line, and a large volume percentage of chondrules, with only 10-15 vol% fine-grained matrix.

H group: The high-iron (H) chemical group of ordinary chondrites, distinguished by their high siderophile element content, relatively small chondrules (~0.3 mm), and oxygen isotope compositions that are closer to the terrestrial fractionation line than those of other ordinary chondrites.

Type 5: Designates chondrites that have been metamorphosed under conditions sufficient to homogenize olivine and pyroxene,
convert all low-Ca pyroxene to orthopyroxene, cause the growth of various secondary minerals, and blur chondrule outlines.

Melt breccias come from all 3 known sources of meteorites, Lunar, Martian and the asteroids and are caused my impacts... asteroid - asteroid and asteroid to Moon or Mars
Vanadium 50 said:
What is a UNWA compared to a regular NWA and why are they 10x cheaper?

Unclassified meteorites from NWA and other places are cheaper because they are unclassified.
The obvious features can be stated, eg. it's a chondrite, anchondrite or a melt breccia and estimates can be made to its metal content classification H = high iron, L = low iron etc. But unless a sample
was actually taken to a lab for chemical analysis, the fine details cannot be confirmed.
cheers
Dave

Last edited:
Likes Hamiltonian and (deleted member)
A new meteorite fall in NE Brazil on the 19th Aug 2020
A few of my fellow collectors from the USA rushed down to the area to hopefully collect some samples.
And were successful

The initial largest stone that fell was a 2.8kg one that went through the roof of a bar in the town of Santa Filomena

SantaFilomena 2.8kg MikeFarmer sm.jpg

Entry Date/Time:08/19/2020 13:18:17.16 UTC
Reference Coordinates:8.173°S 40.544°W
Reference Altitude:20.9 km above sea level
Energy / Mass Estimate:> 0.01kt / >300kg
Reference Speed:18.0 km/s
Bearing:264.9° W
Slope:47.3° from vertical
TKW:>42kg recovered
Classification:Chondrite, possibly L-type
about a week after the 2,8kg stone recovery, 38.2 kg stone was fount out of town.

38.2kb Brazil.jpg
I have purchased a 4.6 gram fragment of this meteorite ... will post a pic. of it when I canDave

Likes berkeman
davenn said:
The initial largest stone that fell was a 2.8kg one that went through the roof of a bar in the town of Santa Filomena
I take it that selling the meteor has paid to replace the roof tiles and any spilled beer?

• Haha
Likes DennisN and davenn
davenn said:
Top left was a gift he included 3 fossil teeth left to right
Wait, what? Are those from Mars? Rhut-rho... :wink:

• Haha
Likes davenn
Dis you get a piece of the big one or the little one? Or both.

Here's another dumb question - why are there no meteorites from earth? i.e. an Earth rock with a fusion crust.

Ibix said:
I take it that selling the meteor has paid to replace the roof tiles and any spilled beer?

Well initially, the govt was going to take ( no payment) the 2.8kg stone and put it into the national museum.
My understanding is, that now the 38+kg one has been found, it's going to the museum and the 2.8kg one
is getting sold by the owner. Not sure if my friend Michael Farmer, from AZ, USA, secured its purchase or not.
I know some of the broken roof tiles have been sold to him and one other.
Having man made materials that were damaged by a meteorite hit is a big bucks deal !

Vanadium 50 said:

My piece is from a different smaller stone that has been broken up

Vanadium 50 said:
Here's another dumb question - why are there no meteorites from earth? i.e. an Earth rock with a fusion crust.

Ahhhh let me dig for a reference, am sure one was possibly found on the Moon.

here we go ...
https://eos.org/articles/apollo-may-have-found-an-earth-meteorite-on-the-moon

But of course, it won't have a fusion crust as the moon has no significant atmosphere

Now there are Earth rocks that have been melted and blasted into the high Earth atmosphere
or just out of it and have come back down to Earth. These produce tektites.Dave

• Informative
Likes Vanadium 50, berkeman and Ibix
I'm thinking of something a little more classic-meteorite than a tektite, which I understand are located near the impact crater: debris that goes up and comes down again. I'm imagining something that goes up, stays up, and comes down later - probably many years later - somewhere else.

My thinking went like this. Of order 10-3 of meteorites come from Mars. Which is easier? Mars-to-Earth or Earth-to-Earth? Probably Earth-to-Earth. So shouldn't there be a few hundred? They should be pretty easy to spot: a chunk of limestone with a fusion crust would do it. For a bonus, it could have a fossil in it. :wink: In fact, they would be so easy to spot I'd worry about forgery.

And, as you say, there is evidence of a very ancient Earth meteorite on the moon.

So where are they?

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm thinking of something a little more classic-meteorite than a tektite, which I understand are located near the impact crater: debris that goes up and comes down again.

WOW ... I'm only a year and a bit late in responding, must be a record for me, sorry mate
I have been pretty inactive on PF of late ... for quite some months actually ... all sorts of crap going on...

Actually tektites can fall far from the source ... Australites, Australian tektites, obviously haha and found all over
Australia have their source in SE Asia... same location as the other Indochinites in this group Cambodia/Laos area.
I do have a better map and location info somewhere for this.

thsci.org%2fspace%2fspace%2ftektites%2ftektite_Map.png

The Indochinite tektite group has the largest strewnfield of all the ones known.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm imagining something that goes up, stays up, and comes down later - probably many years later - somewhere else.

That would have to be injected into some sort of low Earth orbit, maybe ?
I haven't so far not heard of anything like that, not saying it's impossible, just never heard of it having been spoken of.

Vanadium 50 said:
They should be pretty easy to spot: a chunk of limestone with a fusion crust would do it. For a bonus, it could have a fossil in it. :wink:

The problem most likely is, that the rock wouldn't be lumps of limestone or whatever Earth rock. The force of the impact
would at best form a significant breccia ( melt breccia), like we see with stuff from the Moon, Mars and some of the asteroid
meteorites. At worse, it would be completely melted, aka the tektites we see, with much the same consistency, physically and
chemically as obsidian ( volcanic glass).
cheers
Dave

• Informative
Likes Oldman too, DennisN and Bystander
hey everyone,

well my meteorite collecting has slowed down over recent months after a major splurge over 2020 and a lot of 2021.
It took my collection from around 30 samples prior to Jan 2020 to over 260 as of today.
Till a few days ago my largest meteorite was a 1.5kg specimen from Morocco, Northwest Africa ...

NWA 1.5kg b.jpg

NWA 1.5kg d.jpg

This last photo shows the leading surface as it came into the atmosphere
NWA 1.5kg f.jpg
This 1.5kg stone has now my well superseded by my latest acquition ... a 5.25kg meteorite, also from Morocco

NWAxxx OC 5.25kg1sm.jpg

NWAxxx OC 5.25kg2sm.jpg

Like the 1.5kg met., this one is also an OC - Ordinary Chondrite.
I don't plan on cutting it to get a sample classified. It's just too nice for that !

cheers
Dave

• Wow
Likes DennisN, pinball1970, collinsmark and 2 others
davenn said:
after a major splurge over 2020
Would that be a meteor shower?

• Haha
Likes DaveE and davenn
Vanadium 50 said:
Would that be a meteor shower?

YES! Definitely LOL

davenn said:
This 1.5kg stone has now my well superseded by my latest acquition ... a 5.25kg meteorite, also from Morocco
You know, at the point you need a backhoe to manage the collection, you might want to reconsider...

• Haha
Likes davenn
davenn said:
Agreed, I have never heard anyone claim that they have one that is from outside of the solar system
I have heard this. There is also recently a meteor that was tracked at such a speed it must have been interstellar.

Likes Dragrath
Hey @davenn, you really have an intriguing hobby!

As many others have said earlier, I imagine it would be really amazing to hold something from space right in your hands!

But I am wondering, how do you differentiate, how do you know that the rock you find or buy is really a meteorite? I have tried Googling this, but it's really quite generic. For instance, when global sellers ship them to you, how do you know that you are not being tricked? ;)

And if I were to go on a walk in the Outback and find an interesting rock, how could I know if it comes from space or not?

For example, this US Gov website https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/i-think-i-found-meteorite-how-can-i-tell-sure outlines some features of meteorites, but how can you definitely be certain that it is from space? Are there any tests or specific features that are unique solely to meteorites and can not be present in any other rocks on Earth?

I'm a beginner, and don't know much about this hobby to be honest, but I think that you as an expert by now would have your own methods :)

Thanks.

Likes davenn
ISamson said:
Hey @davenn, you really have an intriguing hobby!

Thanks ... it is so cool :smile:

ISamson said:
But I am wondering, how do you differentiate, how do you know that the rock you find or buy is really a meteorite? I have tried Googling this, but it's really quite generic. For instance, when global sellers ship them to you, how do you know that you are not being tricked? ;)

if it is a relatively fresh fall .. less than around 1000 years, it will still have some or all its fusion crust as in the 1.5 and 5.25 kg examples above. The fusion crust will dull with time and erosion. Other features on the surface also show it to be a meteorite rather than an Earth rock ... Orientation = obvious flight direction markings that show the way it came through the atmosphere, Regmaglypts = those hollowed out depressions, also known as thumbprints.
Internally Ordinary Chondrites are VERY different to Earth rocks ... they have a nice sprinkling of metal throughout them and little spherical chondrules that is not seen in any Earth rocks ...
eg, these 2, from my collection ... a Western Australia one and a Canadian one
#022 Wiluna WA a.jpg
#085 Bruderheim L6 Canada c.jpg

easily seen chondrules in this one from Morocco

#002 NWA869 b.jpg

The difficult ones to differentiate from Earth rocks are the Achondrites, and most of them need to be
analysed to get mineral content to determine their origin. Many Achondrites are breccias and look just like Earth breccias ... like this breccia from the Moon ...

#052 NWA11421 Lunar Felspathic Breccia.jpg

The other 2 main types, the Irons and the Pallasites also have distinctions not found in Earth material

All but a small variety of iron meteorites ( from an asteroid core) show a distinctive crystalline pattern with the iron and nickel.
This is called the Widmanstatten Pattern is easily seen wen an iron meteorite cut surface is polished and etched with acid ...

#046 Muonionalusta, Sweden.jpg

#050 NWA6903 Iron IIIAB.jpg

Pallasites are iron meteorites from the asteroid mantle layer ( surrounds the core). they have a nice mix of iron/nickel and olivine. Pallasites are called stony-irons

#170 Sericho Kenya d.jpg

• Informative
  • Wow
Likes DennisN, Dragrath, pinball1970 and 3 others
ISamson said:
. For instance, when global sellers ship them to you, how do you know that you are not being tricked? ;)

I only buy from trusted sellers ... Sadly, there are many people selling Earth rocks as meteorite :oldfrown:
I belong to a number of Facebook groups that have good trustworthy hunter, collectors and sellers and we are all quick to denounce any fake sellers

ISamson said:
And if I were to go on a walk in the Outback and find an interesting rock, how could I know if it comes from space or not?

First, visual observation experience, then testing. ~95% of the time, breaking/cutting a rock to see the interior will instantly determine if it is a meteorite. The other ~ 5% of the time it will need lab. testing

ISamson said:
For example, this US Gov website https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/i-think-i-found-meteorite-how-can-i-tell-sure outlines some features of meteorites,

That's reasonably good ... but the magnetic thing is a catch with many newcomers ... Not all meteorites will be attracted to a magnet. and there are a lot of Earth rocks that will be attracted to a magnet. It isn't a reliable test

ISamson said:
but how can you definitely be certain that it is from space? Are there any tests or specific features that are unique solely to meteorites and can not be present in any other rocks on Earth?

Read the stuff I have posted in the previous post :)

ISamson said:
I'm a beginner, and don't know much about this hobby to be honest, but I think that you as an expert by now would have your own methods :)

Skilled, Yes, but I don't claim to be an expert ... there are many in my circle of meteorite friends that know much more about the subtleties than I do. But I am confident that I could, just visually ( external view) identify around 80% of meteorites, seeing the inside would add another 10 - 15 %. the other ~ 5% I would need to see a lab analysis

cheers
Dave

• Informative
Likes berkeman, pinball1970, ISamson and 1 other person
davenn said:
"if it is a relatively fresh fall "
I thought you were going to say, "like last week/month/ year!"

Do you ever get requests from Unis or private research labs for samples? On your face book page/other?
Some pretty old stuff in meteors as well as clues to how abiogenesis may have got started.

I may have asked you about Murchison before

pinball1970 said:
I thought you were going to say, "like last week/month/ year!"

Haha ... anything less than ~ 1000 yrs is relatively fresh in the big scheme of things.
Very fresh as in within the last year ... there was a new meteor/meteorite seen in Mississippi
at the end of May 2022 ( mite have been end of April - months flying by so fast) ... the sonic booms were heard and a bunch of my meteorite friends converged on the area and managed to find samples. I have managed to purchase a small bit, less than 1g. Because there has been less than 500g (0.5kg) recovered and it was a new fall, prices are ~ US$800 - 1200 / gram.

pinball1970 said:
Do you ever get requests from Unis or private research labs for samples?

No I havent... most of my samples are less than 50g. I have only 5 samples greater than 100g

Ohhh, as I was typing this, the courier just arrived and I now have my little bits of the Cranfield, MO samples.
wooohooo This is from Matthew Stream ( Streaming Meteorites) who found some samples. Several hit the road and shattered into tiny pieces. I got some of those tiny pieces 😍

Cranfield MO sm.jpg

Awesome timing 😊

pinball1970 said:
I may have asked you about Murchison before

I can't remember either. Most of the Murchison samples are in museums
I only have about 4 tiny samples much like the Cranfield ones above

cheers
Dave

• Informative
Likes DennisN, Dragrath, ISamson and 1 other person
Baluncore said:
Do you have any Darwin Glass, or does it not qualify for your collection?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_glass

Hey, Baluncore

Yes, have a few pieces of that. It is an impact created glass similar to tektites.
But it more closely is akin to Moldavites and Libyan Desert Glass with its
rougher/non-symmetrical appearance.

Anything meteorite/impact related will go into the "meteorite" collection
The Tektites, D.G., LDG and Moldavites are kept together in their own sample tray.
Will add a photo when I get home from work

cheers
Dave

Vanadium 50 said:

2 years ago, almost to the day, you asked this, and I had no reasonable answer for you.
Today a meteorite collector/studier friend made this post on his FB page.
Maybe an answer to your question

cheers
Dave

Jose Garcia

4 September at 09:42 ·

Nobody would say this fragment is a meteorite. It looks like an igneous rock, basalt, simple and without mystery. But analysis in the laboratory determined that it was much more important than it appears. This rock is NWA 14635, an achondrite (brachinite-like), one of only two officially classified. This type of meteorites were formed in the terrestrial fractionation line, and for some reason still unknown, it is believed that they are fragments of the primitive Earth that jumped into space in some past event, perhaps in its collision with Theia. After incorporating solar wind particles and other interstellar particles into their composition, they returned to our planet in the form of meteorites. An amazing story, for an amazing rock.
This specimen, a complete section of 2.10 grams, together with another fragment of 1.14 grams, are part of the laboratory repository. It really is an amazing material.

1662607821464.png

• Love
  • Wow
Likes DennisN, vanhees71, Vanadium 50 and 2 others
hey guys and gals

Since my last post there have been several new meteorites arrived in the post for my collection. They didnt get posted to this thread

A few days ago, a new parcel of meteorites arrived. This is from my friend, Topher Spinnato, in Arizona. A couple of times a year
he will hold an online, "Zoom", live sale. They are always a lot of fun as up to 30 of us vie for what's on offer.

here's my purchases shown with a parcel opening video.

OK for those interested, my latest meteorite parcel opening, from Topher Cosmo Spinnato and Sue Mollica Spinnato .
Be aware that it's about 30 minutes long LOL
Sue is a real sweetie and does such a wonderful and cute job of packing up each meteorite individually

https://youtu.be/0pvY4qQogSA

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
What an amazing extension on a "rock collecting" hobby... :smile:

• Love
Likes pinball1970 and davenn
berkeman said:
What an amazing extension on a "rock collecting" hobby... :smile:

Yes, it is. The rock and mineral and fossils came first at around 20 years earlier
and still going to mineral shows and getting many new ones.
This latest parcel arrival has put my meteorite collection at well over 300.cheers
Dave

Likes berkeman and pinball1970
davenn said:
at well over 300.
Jaw drops....

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and davenn
davenn said:
Yes, it is. The rock and mineral and fossils came first at around 20 years earlier
and still going to mineral shows and getting many new ones.
This latest parcel arrival has put my meteorite collection at well over 300.cheers
Dave
I reckon I could have a decent crack at recognising a meteor from a terrestrial rock just from your threads!
Brilliant!

• Love
Likes davenn
After a week delay, following my heart attack. I finally got the parcel opening video ready for the new Met's from Brett Joseph .
Thanks so much buddy, always good to get some new stuff from you. Enjoy, everyone

20230118_163204sm.jpg

• Wow
Likes DennisN, OmCheeto, Dragrath and 2 others