Adding Scalar Multiples of Vectors Graphically

In summary, the problem asks to draw the vector C = 1.5A -3B, where A is 4.5 and B is 1.0. To solve this, you need to make A 1.5 times as long and B 3 times as long in the opposite direction to form -3B. Then, copy the extended -3B so that it begins at the end of 1.5A. The total is the new vector going from the beginning of 1.5A to the end of the relocated -3B, which is about 9 squares to the right and 4 squares up. This can be written as (9,4) or (4,3) depending
Turtlie

Homework Statement

Draw the vector C = 1.5A -3B
(Mastering Physics problem)
A is 4.5 and B is 1.0

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried it 4 times and still can't do it. I've looked at some sites but I guess I just don't understand it. I've heard of the head to tail method, or something similar, but I either did it wrong or didn't understand it.

I got the first one right, but I've never done any with the different-angled vectors (aside from East/West, North/East)

Oops, picture would be helpful.
2jsbvm.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Make A 1.5 times as long.
Make B 3 times as long and in the opposite direction to form -3B.
Copy the extended -3B so that it begins at the end of 1.5A. The total is the new vector going from the beginning of 1.5A to the end of the relocated -3B. Looks like about 9 to the right and 3 up.

Delphi51 said:
1. Make A 1.5 times as long.
2. Make B 3 times as long and in the opposite direction to form -3B.
3. Copy the extended -3B so that it begins at the end of 1.5A.
4. The total is the new vector going from the beginning of 1.5A to the end of the relocated -3B. Looks like about 9 to the right and 3 up.

2lm2cxy.jpg

Is that right? Not completely sure about four though :confused:

Looks good! Ignore 4. Count your answer from the beginning of 1 to the tip of 3. It is 9 squares to the right and 4 squares up. Often written as (4,3).

Wait so which arrow would be the answer? The one that I labeled as 3?

Edit: Well 3 isn't the answer. I tried that one so now I have like 1 try left.

Last edited:

FAQ: Adding Scalar Multiples of Vectors Graphically

What is the purpose of adding scalar multiples of vectors graphically?

The purpose of adding scalar multiples of vectors graphically is to visually represent the combination of two vectors. This can help in understanding how the magnitude and direction of the resulting vector changes when scalar multiples are added or subtracted.

How do you add scalar multiples of vectors graphically?

To add scalar multiples of vectors graphically, you need to first draw the original vectors on a graph with their respective magnitudes and directions. Then, use a ruler to measure the magnitude of the scalar multiple and draw a new vector with the same direction as the original vector. The resulting vector will be the combination of the two vectors.

What do the different colors or labels on the vectors represent when adding scalar multiples of vectors graphically?

The different colors or labels on the vectors represent the different vectors being added or subtracted. Each vector has its own magnitude and direction, and the colors or labels help to differentiate between them when drawing and combining them graphically.

Are there any limitations to adding scalar multiples of vectors graphically?

Yes, there are limitations to adding scalar multiples of vectors graphically. Graphically adding vectors can only give an approximate result, as it is difficult to measure and draw with complete accuracy. Additionally, this method can only be used for 2D vectors and not for 3D or higher dimensions.

What are some real-world applications of adding scalar multiples of vectors graphically?

Adding scalar multiples of vectors graphically can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and aviation. For example, in physics, it can be used to calculate the resulting force of multiple forces acting on an object. In engineering, it can be used to determine the combined effect of different forces on a structure. In aviation, it can be used to calculate the net velocity of an aircraft based on its individual components.

Back