Adding sin plus cos with fractions containing square roots

In summary, the problem is that you are using a method that doesn't work and you need to use a different method to solve the problem.
teffany
How do I solve:

[sin (pi/3)] + [cos (pi/6)]? <--- "pi" is 3.14...

I think that [sin (pi/3)]= (square root 3) divided by 2

AND that [cos (pi/6)]= (square root 3) divided by 2.

Now I can't remember how to add fractions containing square roots.

My textbook says the answer is: square root 3.

I just have NO IDEA how to get there.

Please help! Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry... I just read that this forum isn't for getting homework help. But I don't know how to move this post, so if somebody in here could help me, I'd appreciate it.

No worries. You may have noticed that it took only nanoseconds for your post to get moved to Homework Help :-)

Are you allowed to use a calculator, or do you need to use tables, or are you supposed to use some other methods?

Wow... A+ for getting my post the heck out of dodge.

Calculators are permitted; but I can't get mine to cooperate. There is a "Trigonometric Functions of Special Angles" table in our textbook and I see that the sin pi/3 = (square root 3)/2, and that cos pi/6 = (square root 3)/2.

Sine my original post, I converted radians to degrees to see if that would work, and it did... kind of.

For the sin part of the problem, the radians = 60 degrees. The sin of 60 degrees is .8660.

For the cos part of the problem, the radians = 30 degrees. The cos of 30 degrees is .8660.

I realize .8660 + .8660 = 1.732 which is THE SQUARE ROOT OF 3.

But, how am I supposed to know 1.732 = the square root of 3 on my own? (The book says the answer is the square root of 3.)

I'm assuming I went about the problem differently, so I would now like to know how to work it using square roots.

You are going to (or should!) feel very silly about this. You add fractions with square roots the same way you add any fractions: by getting a common denominator. Since you already have a common denominator, 2, you just add the numerators. Or, since the fractions happen to be identical here, use "a+ a= 2a"! What is 2 times sqrt(3)/2?

Could the equation look like this?

sqrt(3)/2 + sqrt(3)/2 = sqrt(6)/2 = sqrt(3)/1 = sqrt(3)

[tex]\frac {\sqrt 3} 2 + \frac { \sqrt 3} 2 = \frac { 2 \sqrt 3} 2 = \sqrt 3[/tex]

It doesn't get any simpler :smile:

Note: what you did was awfully wrong :frown: You can't add square roots this way. Think about it: if sqrt(4) + sqrt(4) = sqrt(8) then 2+2=sqrt(8), or 42=8. Obviously that's wrong.

Oh! I finally get it! Thank you SO MUCH! I have seen the light of adding square roots.

Yes, it is exactly like adding anything else: x/2+ x/2= 2x/2= x no matter what x is.

What is the formula for adding sin and cos with fractions containing square roots?

The formula for adding sin and cos with fractions containing square roots is:

sin(x) + cos(x) = sqrt(1/2) * (sin(x+pi/4) + cos(x-pi/4))

How do I simplify a fraction containing a square root in the numerator or denominator?

To simplify a fraction containing a square root, you can use the property of rationalizing the denominator, which means multiplying the numerator and denominator by the same value that will eliminate the square root. For example, if you have sqrt(2)/2, you can multiply both the numerator and denominator by sqrt(2) to get 2/2 = 1.

Can I add fractions with different denominators containing square roots?

Yes, you can add fractions with different denominators containing square roots, but you will need to find a common denominator first. To do this, you can use the property of rationalizing the denominator, as mentioned above, or you can multiply the two denominators together, simplify if possible, and use that as the common denominator.

What is the Pythagorean identity and how is it used in adding sin and cos fractions?

The Pythagorean identity is sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1. This identity is used in adding sin and cos fractions by allowing us to replace one of the terms with its equivalent form in terms of the other. For example, if we have sin(x)/cos(x), we can use the Pythagorean identity to rewrite sin(x) as sqrt(1-cos^2(x)), giving us sqrt(1-cos^2(x))/cos(x). This makes it easier to add the fractions together.

Can I simplify the result of adding sin and cos fractions containing square roots?

Yes, in some cases, you can simplify the result of adding sin and cos fractions containing square roots. This will depend on the specific values of x and the given fractions. You can use algebraic manipulation and the properties of trigonometric functions to simplify the resulting fraction, but it may not always be possible to simplify it further.