1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adding sin plus cos with fractions containing square roots

1. Sep 5, 2008 #1
    How do I solve:

[sin (pi/3)] + [cos (pi/6)]? <--- "pi" is 3.14......

I think that [sin (pi/3)]= (square root 3) divided by 2

AND that [cos (pi/6)]= (square root 3) divided by 2.

Now I can't remember how to add fractions containing square roots.

My textbook says the answer is: square root 3.

I just have NO IDEA how to get there.

Please help! Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2008 #2
    Sorry... I just read that this forum isn't for getting homework help. But I don't know how to move this post, so if somebody in here could help me, I'd appreciate it.

4. Sep 6, 2008 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

No worries. You may have noticed that it took only nanoseconds for your post to get moved to Homework Help :-)

Are you allowed to use a calculator, or do you need to use tables, or are you supposed to use some other methods?

5. Sep 6, 2008 #4
    Wow... A+ for getting my post the heck out of dodge.

Calculators are permitted; but I can't get mine to cooperate. There is a "Trigonometric Functions of Special Angles" table in our textbook and I see that the sin pi/3 = (square root 3)/2, and that cos pi/6 = (square root 3)/2.

Sine my original post, I converted radians to degrees to see if that would work, and it did... kind of.

For the sin part of the problem, the radians = 60 degrees. The sin of 60 degrees is .8660.

For the cos part of the problem, the radians = 30 degrees. The cos of 30 degrees is .8660.

I realize .8660 + .8660 = 1.732 which is THE SQUARE ROOT OF 3.

But, how am I supposed to know 1.732 = the square root of 3 on my own? (The book says the answer is the square root of 3.)

I'm assuming I went about the problem differently, so I would now like to know how to work it using square roots.

6. Sep 6, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are going to (or should!) feel very silly about this. You add fractions with square roots the same way you add any fractions: by getting a common denominator. Since you already have a common denominator, 2, you just add the numerators. Or, since the fractions happen to be identical here, use "a+ a= 2a"! What is 2 times sqrt(3)/2?

7. Sep 6, 2008 #6
    Could the equation look like this?

sqrt(3)/2 + sqrt(3)/2 = sqrt(6)/2 = sqrt(3)/1 = sqrt(3)

8. Sep 6, 2008 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

[tex]\frac {\sqrt 3} 2 + \frac { \sqrt 3} 2 = \frac { 2 \sqrt 3} 2 = \sqrt 3[/tex]

It doesn't get any simpler :smile:

Note: what you did was awfully wrong :frown: You can't add square roots this way. Think about it: if sqrt(4) + sqrt(4) = sqrt(8) then 2+2=sqrt(8), or 42=8. Obviously that's wrong.

9. Sep 6, 2008 #8
    Oh!! I finally get it!! Thank you SO MUCH! I have seen the light of adding square roots.

10. Sep 7, 2008 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, it is exactly like adding anything else: x/2+ x/2= 2x/2= x no matter what x is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?