Adding the currents of all pins

• Thread starter Physicslearner500039
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Currents
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a voltage output card with 8 output pins to drive an external circuit that requires 1A. Some potential issues such as uneven current distribution and voltage drops between pins are mentioned, and potential solutions such as using diodes or ballasting are suggested. It is also mentioned that it may be better to find a card with a higher current output.
Physicslearner500039
Hi all,

i have this clarification i have one voltage output card and it has got 8 output pins and each pin can source around 120mA (5V), but i have to drive one external circuit which requires around 1A. so my question is it possible to short all the 8 output pins so that i can get 8 * 120 = 960mA(~1A) from the pins? is this type of addition possible? In case if it is not possible to achieve this with voltage output card i also have the supplier giving current output card can i achieve the above requirement with current output card? If somebody can show a link of clearing all these concepts it will be great?

thanks in advance,
regards,
Satya

Engineering news on Phys.org
In general, yes it is possible. The problem is that in reality all the 5V outputs won't really be 5V, so what ends up happening is the highest voltage output will tend to source most of the current because there is a voltage drop between it and the other 5V outputs. Also, you would probably want to use a diode on each output so that the lower voltage outputs wouldn't draw current from the highest one (but then this introduces a voltage drop across the diode). You also run into a problem if you turn the power supplies off/on that if one turns on faster than the others it will have a current spike that will cause problems.

It may be a better idea to find a card able to source more current through a single output. Also, if you think you could need to source 1A I would make sure my supply can provide that plus a buffer (like at least 1.2-1.5A).

Connecting all 8 output pins together to drive a single load introduces a host of problems. Putting diodes on each output pin, as Floid suggests, would be a good way to protect the card from this type of use.

You may find it easier to just connect 1 output pin to a 5V relay. Or you could connect one of the output pins to the base of a mosfet.

Typically, you design to operate the pins at a derated current, i.e. 75% of max, then add an additional pin for redundancy.

This is not valid for hot socketing (connecting while under power).

If you're concerned about uneven current, you can ballast (add series resistance to) each pin by running a trace that has about 2x the rated pin resistance to each pin prior to joining the individual traces with a heavy trace.

An example:
You need 1 amp. Derated, you need 1/.75 ampacity, or 1.33 amp. If you're working with .125 amp connections with 15 milliohm each, you would need 1.33/.125 + 1 connections, or about 12.

If you were worried about uneven load distribution (which generally, I don't), then you'd want a 2X ballast resistance in series with each pin, or about 30 milliohm. Using 8 mil traces, and 1 oz copper, this comes to about .5" long trace per pin.

What does "Adding the currents of all pins" mean?

Adding the currents of all pins refers to the process of combining the individual electric currents of multiple pins or connectors into one total current. This is commonly done when using circuit boards or electronic devices with multiple pins or connectors.

Why is it important to add the currents of all pins?

Adding the currents of all pins is important because it allows us to accurately calculate the total current in a circuit or device. This is essential for understanding the power consumption and performance of the circuit, as well as for identifying any potential issues or malfunctions.

How do you add the currents of all pins?

To add the currents of all pins, you will need to use a multimeter, which is a device used to measure electric current, voltage, and resistance. You will need to connect the multimeter's leads to each pin or connector, and then add the individual current readings to determine the total current.

What happens if the currents of all pins are not added correctly?

If the currents of all pins are not added correctly, it can lead to inaccurate measurements and calculations, which can affect the performance and safety of the circuit or device. It is important to double-check the connections and readings to ensure an accurate total current is obtained.

Are there any exceptions to adding the currents of all pins?

In some cases, it may not be necessary to add the currents of all pins. For example, if the pins are connected in parallel, the total current can be calculated using Ohm's Law (I = V/R) instead of adding individual currents. It is important to understand the circuit and consult a professional when unsure.