Calculating Magnetic Forces Between Infinite Wires

In summary, you need to find the x- and y-components of the individual forces, and then add them to get the total force. The magnitude is then found by multiplying the x- and y-components together.
Denver Dang
Adding two magnetic forces

Homework Statement

Well, it's kinda stupid, but I've truly forgot how to do this.

I've got 3 infinite long wires that is located as in this image:
http://www.gratisupload.dk/download/41857/"
where the wires is, ofc, inifinite.

Well, I have to calculate the force acting on wire 1 from wire 2 and 3.
And the current running through the wires are as stated in the picture.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{F}{L}=\frac{{{\mu }_{0}}II'}{2\pi r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I calculate the force from wire 2 to wire 1, and from wire 3 to wire 1, which gives:

[tex]\frac{{{F}_{2-1}}}{L}=\frac{{{\mu }_{0}}I\left( -2I \right)}{2\pi a}=\frac{-{{\mu }_{0}}{{I}^{2}}}{\pi a}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{{{F}_{3-1}}}{L}=\frac{{{\mu }_{0}}II}{2\pi \left( \sqrt{{{a}^{2}}+{{a}^{2}}} \right)}=\frac{{{\mu }_{0}}{{I}^{2}}\sqrt{2}}{4\pi a}[/tex]

My problem is, that I know that the total force is just not by adding the two expressions, but I need to do it vectorstyle - I think.

And the only way I can think of is:

[tex]\frac{{{F}_{tot}}}{L}=\sqrt{{{\left( \frac{{{F}_{2-1}}}{L} \right)}^{2}}+{{\left( \frac{{{F}_{3-1}}}{L} \right)}^{2}}}[/tex]

But that doesn't give the right result, which should be:

[tex]{{F}_{tot}}=\frac{\sqrt{10}{{\mu }_{0}}{{I}^{2}}L}{4\pi a}[/tex]

So what am I doing wrong? I've been looking through my book, but I haven't found anything that could solve this for me. And if I'm correct it's pretty simple, but even so, I just can't remember it or figure it out...

So can anyone give me a hint?

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You said it yourself, the individual forces are vectors. What are their directions?

Well, something like this:

http://www.gratisupload.dk/download/41871/"

And sorry for the not so pretty paint picture :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so add the components of the individual forces to get the compoents of the total force, and then find its magnitude.

But how ? That's kinda my problem.
I have totally forgot how to do this :S

Well, what are the x and y-components of each individual force? You know their magnitudes and directions, so use a little trig and find them.

So, the x-component of F2-1 is:

[tex]\[{{F}_{x}}=-\frac{{{\mu }_{0}}{{I}^{2}}}{\pi a}\][/tex]

and the y-component is 0, since it's only in the x-direction.

The x- and y-components of F3-1 is:

[tex]\[\begin{align}
& {{F}_{x}}=\frac{{{\mu }_{0}}{{I}^{2}}\sqrt{2}}{4\pi a}\cos \left( \pi /4 \right) \\
& {{F}_{y}}=\frac{{{\mu }_{0}}{{I}^{2}}\sqrt{2}}{4\pi a}\sin \left( \pi /4 \right) \\
\end{align}\]
[/tex]

Then add the x-components, and finding the magnitude by saying:

[tex]\[F=\sqrt{{{\left( \sum{{{F}_{x}}} \right)}^{2}}+{{\left( \sum{{{F}_{y}}} \right)}^{2}}}\][/tex]

Argh... So simple !

Thank you :)

What is the concept of adding to magnetic forces?

Adding to magnetic forces refers to the process of combining multiple magnetic forces to create a stronger overall force. This can be achieved through the use of permanent magnets, electromagnets, or a combination of both.

Why would someone want to add to magnetic forces?

Adding to magnetic forces can be useful in a variety of applications, such as increasing the strength of a magnet or creating a more precise magnetic field for scientific experiments. It can also be used in industrial settings to lift or move heavy objects using electromagnets.

How do you add to magnetic forces?

To add to magnetic forces, you can either physically stack multiple magnets together or arrange them in a specific configuration to create a stronger magnetic field. Additionally, you can increase the current flow in an electromagnet to make it stronger.

What are the limitations of adding to magnetic forces?

One of the main limitations of adding to magnetic forces is that there is a maximum limit to how strong a magnetic field can be created. This is known as the saturation point, and beyond this point, adding more magnets or increasing the current will not result in a stronger magnetic force.

Are there any safety considerations when adding to magnetic forces?

Yes, it is important to handle magnets with caution when adding to magnetic forces, as they can be very strong and may cause injury if mishandled. Additionally, strong magnetic fields can interfere with electronic devices, so it is important to keep them away from sensitive equipment.