Understanding Trig Functions: Solving for Sin and Cos in Radian Measure

• Thread starter erok81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the person is stuck and needs help understanding how to do their trig homework. The person's teacher is not very good at teaching and the slides from their school don't go into more detail. The person also finds it difficult to understand the cosine and sine functions because they are too complex.
erok81
I am stuck with my trig homework. My teacher isn't the best at teaching this stuff and the power point slides from my school stop before they get to this. Also in the answer book (and text) it doesn't really explain this either.

The problem is:

[tex]sin(-\pi)+cos(5\pi)[/tex]

I have no idea what to do next. I know how the radian measure works but [tex]\pi[/tex] and [tex]5\pi[/tex] don't mean anything (to me) in regular degree's.

If anyone could give me a quick explanation on how to do these I'd really appreciate it. :approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have to go to degrees. If you imagine the unit circle, [itex] \pi \ and \ -\pi [/tex] are coincidental points (180 deg), because you are just adding revolutions and returning to the same point. [itex]\sin(\pi) = \sin(-\pi) = 0 [/tex]. [itex] 5\pi [/tex] is just [itex] \pi + 4pi [/tex], or just [itex]\pi[/tex] with two added revolutions. [itex]\cos(5\pi) = \cos(\pi) = -1 [/tex].

Last edited:
erok81 said:
I am stuck with my trig homework. My teacher isn't the best at teaching this stuff and the power point slides from my school stop before they get to this. Also in the answer book (and text) it doesn't really explain this either.

The problem is:

[tex]sin(-\pi)+cos(5\pi)[/tex]

I have no idea what to do next. I know how the radian measure works but [tex]\pi[/tex] and [tex]5\pi[/tex] don't mean anything (to me) in regular degree's.

If anyone could give me a quick explanation on how to do these I'd really appreciate it. :approve:

convert them if you have trouble with radians. pi would be 180 degress, so what would negative pi be? it just means that you're going counter clockwise rather than clockwise. as far as five times pi, one complete revolution is two pi, in that case two complete revolutions would be 4 pi -- so, where would you be for 5 pi?

For some reason I always get hung up on these easy ones. I tend to make them a lot harder than they really are. The more complex ones I understand right away, however that works. :rofl:

I hate to sound stupid, but I still don't get it.

The [tex]cos(5\pi)[/tex] I understand how that goes around 2.5 times. I get how the [tex]sin(-\pi)[/tex] goes half way backwards.

For some stupid reason I don't get how [tex]sin(-\pi)[/tex] equals zero, or how the [tex]cos(5\pi)[/tex] equals -1.

I have read the section in my math book over and over again, but can't find anything about these. :confused:

Ok. on the unit circle, sin x measure the displacement in the Y direction. When your on the x axis, your displacmeent in the Y direction is 0, and the only two points you are on the x-axis on the unit circle are at x = 0 and x = Pi .

Cos is the same thing but in the X direction, so it is zero at x = Pi/2 and 3 Pi/2

Oh duh, see what I mean. I don't know how I didn't see/realize that in the first place.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. :biggrin:

1. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine (sin), cosine (cos), tangent (tan), cosecant (csc), secant (sec), and cotangent (cot).

2. How do you add two trigonometric functions?

To add two trigonometric functions, you must first determine if the angles in both functions are the same. If they are, you can simply add the coefficients of the functions. If the angles are different, you must use trigonometric identities to rewrite the functions in terms of the same angle before adding them.

3. What is a common mistake when adding trigonometric functions?

A common mistake when adding trigonometric functions is forgetting to use the correct sign for each term. For example, adding sin(x) and cos(x) should result in sin(x) + cos(x), not sin(x) - cos(x).

4. Can you add more than two trigonometric functions?

Yes, you can add more than two trigonometric functions. The same rules apply as when adding two functions – make sure the angles are the same and use trigonometric identities if necessary.

5. How do you handle adding trigonometric functions with different periods?

If the periods of the functions are different, you must first find the least common multiple (LCM) of the periods. Then, you can rewrite the functions in terms of the LCM and add them together. This will result in a new function with the LCM as its period.