1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adding vectors

1. Sep 5, 2005 #1
    I thought I calculated the vector components correctly and added them, but apparently something is wrong.

A car travels 2.2 km in the x-direction, then turns left 67.5 degrees to the original direction and travels an additional distance of 3.09km. Calculate the x component of the car's displacement.

This is what I did:

The first vector went 2.2km to the right, so the x component of that vector is 2.2, while the y is 0. Unless I misread the info, the second vector is going 3.09km in the northwest direction. I found the x component of that by multiplying the cosine of 67.5 by -3.09 (negative because it is going in the negative x-axis direction, or so that's how my book explains it). I got -1.182. The y component is unncecessary but I got 2.855 for that. I added the two x components up and I got 1.018 and it's incorrect. I don't know where I went wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2005 #2

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

If the car turns through an angle of less than 90 degrees its x-component is still positive. You should not have negated 3.09.

4. Sep 5, 2005 #3
    Yeah, you're right. It's going in the NE direction. I completely messed that up, I feel like a moron. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?