Is Griffiths' Statement About the Addition of Angular Momentum Always Correct?

In summary, the discussion is about the number of possible states before and after adding the spins of particles. Griffiths suggests that the number of states should be the same before and after addition, but this is not always the case. A counter example is provided where the addition of a spin 1/2 particle and a spin 1 particle results in 6 final states, while there were only 5 initial states. It is necessary to use the rule for counting states to accurately determine the number of states before and after addition.
Norman
I am working through some old particle physics notes of mine and when reading Griffiths "Introduction to Elementary Particles" I stumbled across a very perplexing problem:

Problem 4.9, pg 138:

"When you are adding angular momentum... it is useful to check your results by counting the number of states before and after the addition. For instance in Example 4.1 we had two quarks to begin with, each would have [itex] m_s=+\frac{1}{2} [/itex] or [itex] m_s=-\frac{1}{2} [/itex] so there were four possibilities in all. After adding the spins, we had one combination with spin one (hence [itex] m_s=1,0,-1 [/itex] ) and one with spin 0 ([itex] m_s=0 [/itex] )-- again, four states in all."

Griffiths seems to imply that you should always have the same number of possible states before and after addition of their spins. I am fairly confident this is wrong. But it seems so odd that such a horribly incorrect statement would be published.

My counter example to Griffiths counting argument:
addition of Spin 1/2 and Spin 1 particles:
Before the addition there are 5 possible states, 2 from the Spin 1/2 and 3 from Spin 1.
i.e.:
[tex] S_1=\frac{1}{2}, m_{s,1}=+\frac{1}{2}, -\frac{1}{2} [/tex]
[tex] S_2=1, m_{s,2}=1,0,-1 [/tex]

After addition, the total spin would either be 1/2 or 3/2, with two states coming from the 1/2 state again but now four states coming from the 3/2 total spin state. This is a total of 6 final states.
i.e.:
[tex] S=\frac{1}{2}, m_{s}=+\frac{1}{2}, -\frac{1}{2} [/tex]
and
[tex] S=\frac{3}{2}, m_{s}=+\frac{3}{2}, +\frac{1}{2}, -\frac{1}{2}, -\frac{3}{2} [/tex]

Am I wrong here? Or did I just mis-understand the implication of the problem. I know he did not out right state it, but I think it is clearly implied in the problem. I believe the argument only holds when you add the angular momentum of particles with the same angular momentum. i.e. 3 quarks or 2 mediators (spin 1), etc.
Thanks,
Norm

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
With a spin 1/2 state and a spin 1 state there are 6 states. Three have 1/2 spin up with each of the three spin 1 states. The other three come from spin -1/2 and the various spin 1 states. This follows from the fact that state vectors for two independent systems are product states -- you count unique combinations.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

reilly said:
With a spin 1/2 state and a spin 1 state there are 6 states. Three have 1/2 spin up with each of the three spin 1 states. The other three come from spin -1/2 and the various spin 1 states. This follows from the fact that state vectors for two independent systems are product states -- you count unique combinations.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

Reilly,

I guess I don't understand your comment. Griffiths (I think) is saying you need to count the number of possible states before and after you make the addition. Are you talking about before you add them, or after? Because before you add them, you only have 5 possible values of the z component of spin- 2 from spin 1/2 and 3 from spin 1.
Cheers,
Norman

Norman -- The rule for counting states is

Number of states =(2*j1+1)(2*j2+1)(2*j3+1)...
when combining angular momentum j1, j2, j3, ...

Again, any particular j1z sate can be combined with all j2 states, and in turn with j3 states, and so forth. Two coins provide four states, a pair of dice (spin 5/2)provides 36 states. In QM, the number of states must be independent of the representation used -- so before and after must be the same. This is an enormously important concept -- a great deal of physics rests upon it(as in the Standard Theory). Most any book on QM, or angular momentum, or on the rotation group will discuss the point.

Just adding the collective number of individual angular momentum states won't cut it.

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

reilly said:
Just adding the collective number of individual angular momentum states won't cut it.

Right. You can't compare the number of single-particle states to the number of states after addition. If you let |MJ1,MJ2> represent the state in which the spin-1 particle has magnetic quantum number MJ1 and the spin-1/2 particle has magnetic quantum number MJ2, then you have six of those states. That is what you compare with the six final states.

The spin space of the two particles is the direct product of their respective spin spaces. SO the dimension of space of both is the product of the dimensions, as Reilly said.

1. What is Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotation an object possesses. It is calculated by multiplying the object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity.

2. How is Angular Momentum represented?

Angular momentum is represented by the symbol L and is measured in units of kilogram meters squared per second (kg·m²/s).

3. What is the formula for calculating Angular Momentum?

The formula for calculating Angular Momentum is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity. It can also be written as L = r x p, where r is the position vector and p is the linear momentum.

4. What is the conservation of Angular Momentum?

The conservation of Angular Momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque is applied. This means that the angular momentum of an isolated system will remain constant over time.

5. How is Angular Momentum used in science?

Angular momentum is used in many areas of science, including physics, astronomy, and engineering. It is particularly useful in understanding the rotation of objects such as planets, stars, and spacecraft. It is also used in studying the motion of particles, such as electrons, in quantum mechanics.