Adiabatic Expansion - Need help getting started

In summary, the question is asking for the ratio by which the volume of a gas needs to be changed in order to ignite it at 1000 degrees celcius by compressing it adiabatically to 27 degrees celcius. However, there is not enough information provided to solve the problem, as the type of gas and its properties are not specified.
Skyblitz
Hi, I just need help getting started on a question.. I'm not even sure where to begin:

It is desired to ignite a gas at 1000 degrees celcius by compressing it adiabatically to 27 degrees celcius.

a) by what ratio must its volume be changed?

I'm not really sure how to approach this question since it seems so little information is given. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
What type of gas it is

Is it a monoatomic Or diatomic or polyatomic

For Adiabatic Equation we have

[tex]P_1V_1^{\gamma}=P_2V_2^{\gamma}[/tex]

For ideal gas

PV=nRT

Hm, it does not say :frown:

Originally posted by Skyblitz
Hm, it does not say :frown:

Is the name of gas stated

Unfortunately not.. what I posted in the first message is all that it says. :\

At such an high temp u can assume it to be in dissociated form

What is adiabatic expansion?

Adiabatic expansion is a thermodynamic process in which a gas expands without gaining or losing heat to its surroundings. This means that the temperature of the gas decreases as it expands.

What is the difference between adiabatic expansion and isothermal expansion?

The main difference between adiabatic and isothermal expansion is that adiabatic expansion involves no transfer of heat, while isothermal expansion occurs at a constant temperature.

What is the formula for calculating the work done during adiabatic expansion?

The formula for calculating work done during adiabatic expansion is W = -(P2V2 - P1V1), where P1 and V1 are the initial pressure and volume, and P2 and V2 are the final pressure and volume.

What are the applications of adiabatic expansion?

Adiabatic expansion is used in various industrial processes, such as air compressors, gas turbines, and refrigeration systems. It is also important in meteorology for understanding atmospheric dynamics.

What are the limitations of adiabatic expansion?

The main limitation of adiabatic expansion is that it can only occur in ideal conditions, where there is no heat transfer. In real-world situations, there is always some heat exchange, making it difficult to achieve true adiabatic expansion.