Adiabatic expansion of argon gas

In summary, argon enters a turbine at a rate of 800 kg/min, a temperature of 800C, and a pressure of 1.5MPa. It expands adiabatically and exits at a pressure of 300KPa. Using the equations PV^(gamma)=constant and TV^(gamma-1)=constant, where gamma=1.67, we can eliminate the variable P to get TV^(gamma-1)=constant. Then, by eliminating V in the same manner, we can solve for the temperature at exit. The answer is 564K.
Erik Horwath
argon enters a turbine at a rate of 800 kg/min, a temp of 800C and a pressure of 1.5MPa. It expands adiabatically as it pushes on the turbine blades and exits at a pressure 300KPa. Calculate its temperature at exit.

The equations I am working with are PV^(gamma)=constant and TV^(gamma-1)=constant. In this case gamma=1.67. If I could figure out how the second of these equations was derived from the first (I'm assuming it involves PV=nRT) I have a feeling I could solve the problem by deriving a similar expression involving P and T but I not sure how and my brain is tired.
:yuck:
Help would be appreciated. By the way I have the answer - it is 564K.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the right idea. Start with the first equation, PV^(gamma)=constant. Then pick the variable you would like to eliminate. To eliminate P, substitute P = nRT/V (from the ideal gas law). Just plug it in and you'll see that it equals your second equation, TV^(gamma-1)=constant. (The constants will be different of course, but that doesn't matter.) Try it!

Then to find the equation you need to solve your problem, eliminate V in the same manner.

Your answer is ok if the above said pressures are absolute, otherwise it would differ.

Doc Al said:
You have the right idea. Start with the first equation, PV^(gamma)=constant. Then pick the variable you would like to eliminate. To eliminate P, substitute P = nRT/V (from the ideal gas law). Just plug it in and you'll see that it equals your second equation, TV^(gamma-1)=constant. (The constants will be different of course, but that doesn't matter.) Try it!

Then to find the equation you need to solve your problem, eliminate V in the same manner.

So that would mean P^(1-gamma)T^(gamma)=constant? Thanks for your help.

Erik Horwath said:
So that would mean P^(1-gamma)T^(gamma)=constant?
Exactly right.

1. What is adiabatic expansion?

Adiabatic expansion is a thermodynamic process in which a gas expands in a closed system without any heat exchange with its surroundings. This means that the energy of the gas remains constant, and the expansion is purely due to the change in volume.

2. Why is argon gas commonly used for adiabatic expansion experiments?

Argon gas is a commonly used gas for adiabatic expansion experiments because it is a monoatomic gas, meaning it consists of single atoms. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the gas during the expansion process.

3. What happens to the temperature of argon gas during adiabatic expansion?

During adiabatic expansion, the temperature of argon gas decreases. This is because the expansion causes the gas molecules to spread out, leading to a decrease in the average kinetic energy of the gas particles, and therefore a decrease in temperature.

4. How is the pressure of argon gas affected by adiabatic expansion?

The pressure of argon gas decreases during adiabatic expansion. This is due to the decrease in average kinetic energy of the gas molecules, which results in fewer collisions with the walls of the container, leading to a decrease in pressure.

5. What is the relationship between the volume and pressure of argon gas during adiabatic expansion?

The relationship between volume and pressure during adiabatic expansion of argon gas is described by the adiabatic expansion equation: PV^γ = constant, where P is pressure, V is volume, and γ is the adiabatic index. This relationship shows that as the volume increases, the pressure decreases and vice versa, while the product of the two remains constant.