Adiabatic Expansion: Relating T & P with dT/dP

In summary, the conversation discusses using the ideal gas law to derive a relationship between temperature and pressure in an adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas. The relevant equations are the ideal gas law, PV=NkT, and the relationship between volume and temperature, VT^(f/2)=constant. By substituting for V in the second equation, T can be expressed as a function of P. Taking the derivative of this function yields the differential equation dT/dP=(2/f+2)(T/P).
w3390

Homework Statement

Show that when an ideal gas expands adiabatically, the temperature and pressure are related by the differential equation: dT/dP = (2/f+2)(T/P).

Homework Equations

PV=NkT
VT^(f/2) = constant
V^(gamma)*P = constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off with the formula for ideal gases, PV=NkT.

I rearranged to get T=(PV/Nk).

At this point I don't know where to go. I don't see any equations I can use to make substitutions and I'm not sure if I should take the derivative at this point or not?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the ideal gas law to replace V in the second "relevant equation" that you posted.
Solve for T in terms of p.
Take the required derivative dT/dp.

Okay. I'm getting a little tripped up at the derivative part. I have at this point:

T = (c/Nk*P)^(2/f+2) , where c is a constant

Taking the derivative will bring down the 2/f+2, but that leaves me with (2/f+2)-1 as the exponent plus the derivative of the inside.

A constant is a constant is a constant so you can write

[tex]T=CP^{\frac{2}{f+2}}[/tex]

Then you say that

[tex]\frac{dT}{dP}=C\frac{2}{f+2}\:P^{\frac{2}{f+2}-1}[/tex]

I am not sure what you mean by "the derivative of the inside." What do you get when you simplify the exponent? How is that related to the expression of T as a function of P?

To solve for dT/dP, we need to use the ideal gas law and the relation between volume and temperature during adiabatic expansion.

Starting with the ideal gas law, we can rearrange it to get P = NkT/V.

Next, we can use the relation VT^(f/2) = constant, where f is the number of degrees of freedom of the gas molecules. For an ideal gas, f = 3, so we have VT^(3/2) = constant.

Since we are dealing with adiabatic expansion, we know that no heat is transferred, so the change in entropy is zero. This means that PV^(gamma) = constant, where gamma is the adiabatic index, which is equal to (f+2)/f.

Now, we can substitute for V in the equation PV^(gamma) = constant using our previous equations. This gives us P(NkT)^(gamma) = constant.

Rearranging, we get T^gamma = (constant)/P^(gamma-1).

Taking the natural log of both sides, we get gamma*ln(T) = ln(constant) - (gamma-1)ln(P).

Now, we can differentiate both sides with respect to P to get dT/dP = (gamma-1)/P * T^(gamma-2) * (-1/P).

Substituting for gamma = (f+2)/f and rearranging, we get dT/dP = (2/f+2) * (T/P).

Therefore, we have shown that when an ideal gas expands adiabatically, the temperature and pressure are related by the differential equation: dT/dP = (2/f+2)(T/P).

1. What is Adiabatic Expansion?

Adiabatic expansion is a thermodynamic process in which there is no exchange of heat between the system and its surroundings. This means that the system is insulated and there is no heat transfer in or out of the system.

2. How does Adiabatic Expansion relate Temperature and Pressure?

In an adiabatic expansion, the change in temperature (dT) and pressure (dP) are directly related. This relationship is described by the equation dT/dP = -γT/P, where γ is the ratio of specific heats for the gas being expanded. This means that as pressure decreases, temperature also decreases and vice versa.

3. What is the significance of dT/dP in Adiabatic Expansion?

The value of dT/dP in adiabatic expansion is important because it determines the rate at which temperature changes with pressure. This value is dependent on the properties of the gas being expanded, such as its specific heat ratio (γ). Understanding this relationship is crucial in predicting the behavior of gases during adiabatic processes.

4. How is Adiabatic Expansion different from Isothermal Expansion?

The main difference between adiabatic and isothermal expansion is that in adiabatic expansion, there is no heat transfer, while in isothermal expansion, there is no change in temperature. In adiabatic expansion, the temperature and pressure are inversely related, while in isothermal expansion, they are directly related.

5. What are some real-world examples of Adiabatic Expansion?

Adiabatic expansion can be seen in various natural phenomena, such as the expansion of air in a bicycle pump, the rising of hot air balloons, and the cooling of air as it rises in the atmosphere. It is also utilized in industrial processes, such as in gas turbines and refrigeration systems.