Explain Adjoint of Commutator Identity in Second Quantization

• Thread starter tommy01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutator
In summary, the conversation discusses the identity ([a_1^{\dagger},a_2^{\dagger}]_{\mp})^{\dagger}=[a_1,a_2]_{\mp} and why it holds true. It is eventually determined that the identity only applies to the special case of creation-/annihilation-operators and not for all (anti-)commutators.
tommy01
Hi all.

I found the following identity in a textbook on second quantization:

[tex]([a_1^{\dagger},a_2^{\dagger}]_{\mp})^{\dagger}=[a_1,a_2]_{\mp}[/tex]

but why?

[tex]([a_1^{\dagger},a_2^{\dagger}]_{\mp})^{\dagger}=(a_1^{\dagger}a_2^{\dagger}\mp a_2^{\dagger}a_1^{\dagger})^{\dagger}=a_2a_1\mp a_1a_2[/tex]

and in the case of the commutator (and not the anticommutator) this isn't the result mentioned in the book.

i would be glad if someone can explain. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
tommy01 said:
[tex]([a_1^{\dagger},a_2^{\dagger}]_{\mp})^{\dagger}=(a_1^{\dagger}a_2^{\dagger}\mp a_2^{\dagger}a_1^{\dagger})^{\dagger}=a_2a_1\mp a_1a_2[/tex]

This looks fine to me

tommy01 said:
Hi all.

I found the following identity in a textbook on second quantization:

[tex]([a_1^{\dagger},a_2^{\dagger}]_{\mp})^{\dagger}=[a_1,a_2]_{\mp}[/tex]

but why?

and in the case of the commutator (and not the anticommutator) this isn't the result mentioned in the book.

i would be glad if someone can explain. thanks.

Well, my best guess is that

[tex]
[A,B]^{\dagger} = (AB - BA)^{\dagger} = B^{\dagger}A^{\dagger}-A^{\dagger}B^{\dagger} = [B^{\dagger},A^{\dagger}] = -[A^{\dagger},B^{\dagger}]
[/tex]

So

[tex]
[A^{\dagger},B^{\dagger}]^{\dagger} = - [A,B]
[/tex]

what you also wrote down. Which textbook are you referring to?

Thanks for your replies.

I found the problem. The identity only holds for the special case of creation-/annihilation-operators, where the (anti-)commutator for fermions or bosons resplectively is zero.

thanks and greetings.

1. What is second quantization?

Second quantization is a mathematical framework used in quantum mechanics to describe systems with an infinite number of particles. It involves representing particles as creation and annihilation operators acting on a vacuum state, instead of using the traditional wave function approach.

2. What is the commutator identity in second quantization?

The commutator identity in second quantization is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between two operators (A and B) that act on a many-particle state. It states that the commutator of A and B is equal to the sum of the commutators of each operator with the other's adjoint, plus the anticommutator of the two adjoints.

3. What is the adjoint of an operator in second quantization?

In second quantization, the adjoint of an operator is defined as the Hermitian conjugate of that operator. It is denoted by a dagger symbol (†), and it represents the operation of taking the complex conjugate of the operator's matrix elements and then transposing them. The adjoint of an operator plays a crucial role in calculating expectation values and commutators in second quantization.

4. How is the adjoint of a commutator identity derived in second quantization?

The adjoint of a commutator identity can be derived by using the properties of adjoints and commutators in second quantization. By taking the adjoint of both sides of the commutator identity and using the properties, we can obtain the expression for the adjoint of the commutator identity.

5. What is the significance of the adjoint of commutator identity in second quantization?

The adjoint of commutator identity is essential in second quantization as it allows us to calculate expectation values and commutators of operators in a many-particle system. It also helps in simplifying mathematical expressions and performing calculations more efficiently. Furthermore, the adjoint of commutator identity is crucial in proving the validity of various quantum mechanical theories and models.