How Does an Adjustable Chair/Microscope Work?

In summary, an "adjustable height box" has a fixed volume that can be lifted and lowered, and its volume is adjustable.
superaznnerd
Hi,
how does an adjustable chair/microscope work?

I need to make an adjustable height box, and I need some basic understanding of the design.

-Gary

Engineering news on Phys.org
superaznnerd said:
Hi,
how does an adjustable chair/microscope work?

I need to make an adjustable height box, and I need some basic understanding of the design.

-Gary

Well, an adjustable height box is gonig to be nothing like and adjustable height chair or microscope...

Does an "adjustable height box" have a fixed volume that can be lifted and lowered, or is its volume adjustable?

thx for the response
it has fixed volume.
could you give me a sense of what the design would look like?

superaznnerd said:
thx for the response
it has fixed volume.
could you give me a sense of what the design would look like?

You need to come up with a design and we can help you refine it.

:rofl:

Seriously super, not only should you be putting effort into this for yourself, but we are actually forbidden by PF Rules to give you answers - rules you agreed to when you signed up:

You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help.
Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.

aite lol. I have no engineering expierence but hopefully ill come up with something.
ill post my designs when i do

OK, the microscope adjustment is too complicated to build from scratch. I am probably going to atttach the adjustment mechanism to my box. Problem is that I don't know what to buy/will be available at a general store that would have such an adjustment mechanism.
does anyone have any suggestiosn?

superaznnerd said:
OK, the microscope adjustment is too complicated to build from scratch. I am probably going to atttach the adjustment mechanism to my box. Problem is that I don't know what to buy/will be available at a general store that would have such an adjustment mechanism.
does anyone have any suggestiosn?

Look for a Lee Valley store in your area.

Mmmmmm. Lee Valley... p0rn without the p0rn.

superaznnerd: See attached file. Look at a manual office chair to get additional details.

Attachments

• height-adjustment-mechanism-01.png
    height-adjustment-mechanism-01.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:

1. What is adjustable height design?

Adjustable height design is a feature that allows an object or piece of furniture to be adjusted to different heights. This is typically achieved through the use of adjustable legs, levers, or other mechanisms that can be manipulated to change the height of the object.

2. What are the benefits of adjustable height design?

The main benefit of adjustable height design is its versatility. It allows for customization and flexibility, making it suitable for a variety of users and situations. It also promotes ergonomic positioning, reducing strain and discomfort on the body.

3. What types of products or furniture can have adjustable height design?

Adjustable height design can be applied to a wide range of products and furniture, such as desks, chairs, tables, shelves, and even beds. It is commonly seen in office furniture, but it can also be found in home furniture and medical equipment.

4. How does adjustable height design work?

The specific mechanism for adjusting the height may vary depending on the product or furniture, but it typically involves the use of levers, knobs, or buttons that can be manipulated to change the height. Some products may also have a gas lift system or motorized mechanism for easier adjustment.

5. Is adjustable height design necessary for everyone?

While adjustable height design can benefit many people, it may not be necessary for everyone. It is particularly useful for those with physical limitations, such as individuals with disabilities or injuries, as well as for promoting good posture and reducing strain for all users. However, some people may prefer fixed height furniture or may not have a need for adjustable features.