Advanced Math and Its Impact on Everyday Life

In summary: I was more interested in Lorentz expansions, actually, but I guess I need to follow all the logical steps from dilations to expansions. o:)
En_lizard
whats the role of advanced math in a ordinary person' life directly? does it make a big change in ur life wether u know advanced math or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
En_lizard said:
whats the role of advanced math in a ordinary person' life directly? does it make a big change in ur life wether u know advanced math or not?

Can't solve the time dependent schrodinger equation without it, and without that, your life has no meaning whatsoever.

franznietzsche said:
Can't solve the time dependent schrodinger equation without it, and without that, your life has no meaning whatsoever.
:smile:

I guess it depends a bit on what you mean by it playing a "role" in someone's life. If you mean, does every individual need to know advanced math to get along in life, then, no. Knowing math up through some basic algebra is enough for most people to do everything they need to do. But, does someone need to know it? Then, yes, because it does get used by those who design things that simplify our lives (or maybe they complicate our lives...I never remember which :biggrin:).

En_lizard said:

I think it has been shown now that doing complex mathematics actually makes a person smarter in various ways. Also, I believe [IMO] that it teaches a logical discipline found nowhere else. It is the purest form of logic known to humans.

Ivan Seeking said:
I think it has been shown now that doing complex mathematics actually makes a person smarter in various ways. Also, I believe [IMO] that it teaches a logical discipline found nowhere else. It is the purest form of logic known to humans.
You've got to love questions that are open-ended enough to have multiple interpretations! I was interpreting it as asking if the average person NEEDS advanced math, and it seems you're interpreting it as asking if knowing math would enrich a person's life. On that second interpretation, I'd agree with you...but to the same extent that any advanced learning can enrich someone's life. And, yes, math is inherently very logical, but I'm not sure if it makes one more logical, or if it's just that people who already tend toward being more logical have a greater affinity for learning math.

Well, we all know that biologists certainly aren't logical. There's no way you could crawl around in the dark in the middle of nowhere all night, trying to find some bizarre animal, only to come home and tell your significant other than you're "logical." :-p

- Warren

chroot said:
Well, we all know that biologists certainly aren't logical. There's no way you could crawl around in the dark in the middle of nowhere all night, trying to find some bizarre animal, only to come home and tell your significant other than you're "logical." :-p

- Warren
:smile: I don't crawl around in the dark trying to find bizarre animals; I crawl around in the dark all night trying to catch sheep! :rolleyes: Though, I'm logical enough to know that telling my significant other that I'm logical requires having a significant other. :-p

Moonbear said:
I crawl around in the dark all night trying to catch sheep!

So does chroot!

:biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
So does chroot!

:biggrin:
:smile: :smile: :smile: And I thought it was just Danger and Artman I had to keep away from my sheep! :smile:

Uh oh, no response from chroot.

MB, if you don't see me for a day or so could you unban me?

Ivan Seeking said:
Uh oh, no response from chroot.

MB, if you don't see me for a day or so could you unban me?
Sure, you bet! :rolleyes: Assuming I don't get banned along with you. *digs through desk drawer* Phew! I still have a few of those GOOBF cards. Here, I have enough to share...they expire soon anyway, so better use them while we can. :biggrin:

ok i got it what logic means.u strat by advanced math and end with sheep. let wait more and see where were going after this point!

En_lizard said:
ok i got it what logic means.u strat by advanced math and end with sheep. let wait more and see where were going after this point!
:biggrin: :smile: It's all Chroot's fault! :-p

Moonbear said:
:biggrin: :smile: It's all Chroot's fault! :-p

Yeah, once someone mentions sheep, Moonbear just gets all excited, and starts talking about Lorentz dilations instead of lorentz contractions. :rolleyes:

franznietzsche said:
Yeah, once someone mentions sheep, Moonbear just gets all excited, and starts talking about Lorentz dilations instead of lorentz contractions. :rolleyes:
I was more interested in Lorentz expansions, actually, but I guess I need to follow all the logical steps from dilations to expansions. o:)

I don't know any advanced math; therefore, I am too stupid to give you a valid answer.

What do you mean by advanced math?

mattmns said:
What do you mean by advanced math?
I had the same thought.

Partial differential equations or complicated integrals or integro-differential equation or topology or abstract algebra or . . . .

My company does analytical research, which means we develop models of physical systems and do simulations under a variety of conditions - in a nutshell - we do predictive analysis.

Mozart lovers are unordinary persons. Thus, Mozart plays no role in ordinary persons' lives.
Ordinary persons have too little capital to benefit from stock market knowledge. Thus, knowledge of the stock market is of little value to the ordinary person.

arildno said:
Mozart lovers are unordinary persons. Thus, Mozart plays no role in ordinary persons' lives.
Ordinary persons have too little capital to benefit from stock market knowledge. Thus, knowledge of the stock market is of little value to the ordinary person.

I guess the question can be raised as...

Should it play a role in an ordinary person's life?

In the case of Mozart, I'd say yes. I believe it brings positive thoughts to someone's life, and possibly making them more open to different solutions. That's one, but there are many other reasons. It leads to a happier life in my opinion, which is usually the ultimate goal of an ordinary person.

En_lizard said:
I think the average person should at least be able to count on their fingers and toes (otherwise, how are they going to count all of those sheep).

Well, I don't see how anyone can spend thousands of hours practicing logic [doing math problems] and not be profoundly affected and mentally enhanced in many aspects of life. I know for one that I was. College - math and physics mainly - was a life changing experience in nearly every respect. Being that I went back to college after already having a career it may have been more obvious than to someone who goes right through from high school.

arildno said:
Both of these are false. Mozart's influence in the world of music composition are still felt today, whether we recognize it or not. Also, the idea that normal person has to little capital to use the stock market is fallacious. If you invested a mere $1,000 a year in a mutual fund with compound interest, such as the S&P 500, by the time you were fifty you would be a millionaire. The stock market cannot make you rich quick, but with prudence and patience even a someone with little money can use it profitably.

Related to Advanced Math and Its Impact on Everyday Life

1. How is advanced math used in everyday life?

Advanced math is used in a variety of ways in everyday life. It is used in fields such as engineering, finance, and computer science to solve complex problems and make accurate predictions. It is also used in tasks such as budgeting, cooking, and measuring to make precise calculations. Additionally, advanced math concepts such as statistics and probability are used in understanding and interpreting data, which is relevant in many aspects of daily life.

2. What are some examples of advanced math in technology?

Advanced math plays a crucial role in the development of technology. It is used in the design and development of computer algorithms, artificial intelligence, and cryptography. Additionally, advanced math is used in fields such as robotics, satellite navigation systems, and image and signal processing. Without advanced math, many of the technologies we use today would not be possible.

3. How does understanding advanced math benefit individuals?

Understanding advanced math can benefit individuals in many ways. It can improve problem-solving skills, logical thinking, and critical thinking skills. It can also help individuals make informed decisions by analyzing and interpreting data. Additionally, having a strong foundation in advanced math can open up career opportunities in various fields and increase earning potential.

4. What are the real-world applications of advanced math?

Advanced math has numerous real-world applications. It is used in medicine to develop medical imaging techniques, create models for drug development, and analyze medical data. It is also used in environmental studies to analyze and predict climate change, and in economics to understand and predict market trends. Advanced math is also used in sports to analyze player performance and make strategic decisions.

5. How can advanced math help us solve global issues?

Advanced math can be used to solve complex global issues. For example, it can be used in developing sustainable energy sources, designing efficient transportation systems, and predicting and preventing natural disasters. It can also be used in understanding and addressing societal issues such as poverty, healthcare, and education. By using advanced math, we can find innovative solutions to some of the world's most pressing problems.