Where can I find a comprehensive book on advanced numerical methods for PDEs?

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a book on advanced numerical methods, specifically PDEs, for an undergraduate level. They mention topics such as finite difference, finite elements, and spectral methods for ODEs and PDEs, as well as differential eigenvalue problems. The person suggests a book called Numerical Recipes, but the original person is looking for a book with a stronger focus on PDEs. Another person suggests a link for a potential book and offers to send a good book via email if the link does not work.
qspeechc
Hi all.

I need a book on advanced numerical methods (note: methods, not analysis) suitable for an undergrad. I have already had a first course in numerical methods, the usual one an undergrad takes.
The topics the book needs to cover is:
Finite difference, finite elements and spectral methods for:
ODEs, with boundary value problems;
PDEs
Differential eigenvalue problems

with a stronger emphasise on PDEs. If such a book exists, I would be most grateful if you could recommend it to me.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the link and suggestion George Jones. I am looking for something whose main focus is PDEs however, and Numerical Recipes does not contain enough info on that.
Any other suggestions?

"I am looking for something whose main focus is PDEs however, and Numerical Recipes does not contain enough info on that.
Any other suggestions?"

Try the link below and if it doesn't work then let me know by sending an email with above title as a subject on my id mfarooj@essex.ac.uk and will send you a very good book and you can keep it forever.

http://gigapedia.com/items:links?id=216434

Regards

Muhammad Farooq

1. What is the purpose of advanced numerical methods?

Advanced numerical methods are mathematical techniques used to solve complex problems that involve numerical calculations. They are designed to improve the accuracy and efficiency of calculations, especially for problems that cannot be solved analytically.

2. What are some examples of advanced numerical methods?

Some common examples of advanced numerical methods include finite difference methods, finite element methods, and numerical integration techniques. These methods are often used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

3. How do advanced numerical methods differ from basic numerical methods?

Advanced numerical methods are more complex and precise than basic methods. They often involve using advanced algorithms and techniques to solve problems that cannot be solved by simpler methods. They also require a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts.

4. What are the benefits of using advanced numerical methods?

Using advanced numerical methods can lead to more accurate and efficient solutions for complex problems. They can also save time and resources by eliminating the need for trial and error methods. Additionally, they allow for the analysis of systems that are too complex for analytical solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to advanced numerical methods?

While advanced numerical methods are powerful and versatile, they are not suitable for all problems. Some problems may require specific assumptions or conditions that these methods cannot accommodate. Additionally, they may be computationally intensive and require significant resources to implement.