Advice on a buffer/inverter chip

• Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
In summary, the IC in question can carry out the functions of a countdown timer and driving a seven segment LED display. For number one, the logic level of one of the pins on the IC determines whether a load is driven or not driven. For number two, the logic level of the pin on the IC is connected to the *output* of the driver/buffer/whatever.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm working on a circuit for a hobby project (not homework). In this circuit is an IC that carries out the functions of being a countdown timer and driving a seven segment LED display. I want to be able to do either of the two following things:

1. Have the logic level of one of the pins on the aforementioned IC determine whether a load is driven or not driven.

2. Drive one of the pins on the IC high or low depending on the the logic level of some signal.

For number 1, as an example, there is a pin on the timing chip that is always at logic low whenever the value of the counter is 00:00 (and logic high otherwise). I want to use this "zero" pin to cause a load to be driven whenever it is low. I don't want to use a BJT, because I don't think that the pins on this IC can source or sink very much current at all, and I don't want to have to worry about having sufficient base current to make the transistor work. A MOSFET would be perfect, but I don't think there are discrete, low-level MOSFETs, and a power MOSFET would be overkill (when I say a "load", I'm talking about an LED powered by 5 V. I'm not talking about switching huge currents here). I thought maybe I could use a logic buffer/driver chips like a 7406 or 7407 (depending on the specific case). However, it doesn't seem to be quite what I need. Instead of a truth table like:

input --> output
------------------
high --> high

low --> low

What I really want is:

input --> output
------------------
high --> high impedance

low --> conducting

For number 2, it's the same idea, except that I would connect the pin on the timing IC to the *output* of my driver/buffer/whatever, instead of having it be the input.

Can you recommend something that will do the job?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Why can't you use the 7406? Have you checked the cmos inverter CD4049? What is this IC you're trying to interface with? You don't really need an inverter though. Just use a buffer (because they have higher sink current) then connect a transistor switch if needed. But you can probably drive the led directly.

Last edited:
TurtleMeister said:
You don't really need an inverter though. Just use a buffer (because they have higher sink current) then connect a transistor switch if needed. But you can probably drive the led directly.

Good point. I guess that's the whole point of a buffer. I'll look into your other suggestions as well. I just thought that the 7406 wouldn't act like a switch, but maybe I'm wrong.

This chip I'm using is an ICM7217 from Maxim. Thanks for your reply!

I just checked the data sheet on the ICM7217 and it shows that the ZERO output low (IBOL) can sink 2ma. That should be enough to drive a transistor switch. But it wouldn't hurt to have a buffer in there.

1. What is a buffer/inverter chip?

A buffer/inverter chip is an electronic component that is used to convert signals from one type to another. It can be used to amplify or invert a signal, as well as to isolate different parts of a circuit.

2. How does a buffer/inverter chip work?

A buffer/inverter chip works by using transistors to control the flow of current and voltage in a circuit. It takes an input signal and produces an output signal that is either amplified or inverted, depending on the type of chip. This allows for better control and stability of electronic systems.

3. What are the benefits of using a buffer/inverter chip?

There are several benefits to using a buffer/inverter chip. It can help to reduce noise and interference in a circuit, improve signal quality, and provide isolation between different parts of a system. It can also help to prevent damage to sensitive components by controlling the flow of current and voltage.

4. How do I choose the right buffer/inverter chip for my project?

When choosing a buffer/inverter chip, it is important to consider the required input and output voltage levels, as well as the maximum current and frequency that the chip can handle. It is also important to consider the size and pin configuration of the chip, as well as any other specific features that may be needed for your project.

5. Are there any precautions to take when using a buffer/inverter chip?

Yes, there are a few precautions to keep in mind when using a buffer/inverter chip. It is important to ensure that the chip is properly connected and powered, and to avoid exceeding the maximum voltage and current ratings. It is also important to consider the heat dissipation of the chip and use proper cooling techniques if necessary.