Advice on Quantum Physics for Novel Writing

• Thread starter Boltar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Novel
In summary, this forum is a good place to ask about aspects of worldbuilding that are related to the story, as long as they are not speculative.
Boltar
Hi all, I thought this might be the best place to ask rather than just go charging in with inane questions and getting shot down. In short, I'm writing a novel which is based heavily on Quantum Physics and am looking for advice on aspects of this subject as they relate to events in the story. The protagonist is essentially a newb (like me) so what he says or does need not be accurate at all, but the results of his misadventures I'd like to get as close to plausible as possible. Now of course, in any story, the laws of physics need not be as they are in the real world (Tom and Jerry springs to mind) and can be moulded by the author as they see fit; but I'd really like to get things as "real world possible" as I can.
Basically, all I'm asking here is if this forum would be a suitable place to request such advice, and (if so) in which section would posting this be most appropriate?

Thanks
Marc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Many writers come here to ask these kinds of questions and we try to accommodate. One thing to keep in mind is that we don't like to discuss speculative science or personal theories in general as our mission is to guide students in learning mainstream science and it's bad to cross the streams as much confusion is generated.

Take a look at the threads of other writers here at PF and see how they proceed and then you should be okay.

Boltar said:
Hi all, I thought this might be the best place to ask rather than just go charging in with inane questions and getting shot down. In short, I'm writing a novel which is based heavily on Quantum Physics and am looking for advice on aspects of this subject as they relate to events in the story. The protagonist is essentially a newb (like me) so what he says or does need not be accurate at all, but the results of his misadventures I'd like to get as close to plausible as possible. Now of course, in any story, the laws of physics need not be as they are in the real world (Tom and Jerry springs to mind) and can be moulded by the author as they see fit; but I'd really like to get things as "real world possible" as I can.
Basically, all I'm asking here is if this forum would be a suitable place to request such advice, and (if so) in which section would posting this be most appropriate?

Thanks
Marc.

Yeah, you're very welcome to ask questions here! Here is the suitable forum to do that in: https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/writing-and-world-building.220/

What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels.

How can quantum physics be incorporated into novel writing?

Quantum physics can be incorporated into novel writing through concepts such as parallel universes, time travel, and the uncertainty principle. These ideas can add depth and intrigue to a story, but it is important to understand the basics of quantum physics in order to accurately incorporate them into the narrative.

What are some common misconceptions about quantum physics?

Some common misconceptions about quantum physics include the idea that it only applies to the microscopic world, that it is purely theoretical, and that it can explain supernatural phenomena. In reality, quantum physics has a wide range of applications and has been experimentally proven.

What resources are available for writers to learn about quantum physics?

There are many books, articles, and online resources available for writers to learn about quantum physics. Some reputable sources include scientific journals, books written by physicists, and educational websites such as Khan Academy.

How can writers accurately depict quantum physics in their novels?

In order to accurately depict quantum physics in a novel, writers should thoroughly research the concepts they want to include and consult with experts in the field. It is also important to avoid oversimplifying or misrepresenting complex theories in order to maintain scientific accuracy.