1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Age of Universe, Redshift & Scale Factor

1. Apr 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume that the current age of the universe is 13.4 billion years old, and that we live in a matter-dominated, omega_m = 1, critical universe, what is the age of the universe at redshift 0.6? HINT: use the current age of the universe to pin down the proportionality relationship between age and the scale factor

2. Relevant equations
    Some formulas that I have found are:
    1+z=R(t_o)/R(t) (redshift and scale factor)
    H_o= cz/d (hubble constant)
    omega_m=1 means k=0 and matter-dominated together with k=0 critical universe implies that the age of the universe t_o = 2/(3H_o)
    For k=0 critical universe R(t) is proportional to t^(2/3)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that (t_o) proportional to (1/H_o) proportional to (1/z), but I don't know how to connect this with the scale factor...and I have no idea how to "use the current age of the universe to pin down the proportionality relationship between age and the scale factor"

Can someone please help me out? I did all the reading but was still unable to solve this problem, no matter how hard I tried...

Thanks for helping!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted