Age Restrictions for Firearms and Explosives: What is Appropriate for Children?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evo
In summary, the small tree that died needs to be cut down and there are a lot of thick branches. The tree is tall and the branches are one or two inches in diameter. The tree is located near a hospital. If the tree is cut down with a handsaw, it is possible to lose one's head. The electric saw is a safer option, but is more expensive than a chain saw. Home Depot sells a lightweight electric saw for 40 dollars.

Should Evo get a chainsaw?

• Total voters
Ivan Seeking said:
...though the first one that she bought only worked about ten times and something broke.

They do that when you abuse them. Or use them in a manner not quite recommended in the instruction manual.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hows about you all mosey up to Evos pad, you could form up into a convoy
tooting your horns and waving your sharp cuty things about, and when you
arrive you have a tree lopping party, Evo would have to provide the booze
and band aids.

wolram said:
and band aids.
Woooo hooooo! Tree-cutting party at Evo's house! Tsu, rev up the RV! :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
I recently learned a great Sawzall trick from a plumber. It even makes removing studs from an existing wall a snap, which came in really handy on the remodel. You can just saw into the interface between boards and cut the nails without ever pulling them. Fantastic!
Yep, it's definitely a versatile tool. Just curious...does anyone else besides me call the thing a tiger saw? That's what we called them when I was a kid. I'm wondering if it's a regional thing, or just an old name that has fallen into disuse due to branding, or if it's because they had to make the name more descriptive (reciprocating saw) when they started making lower grade, inexpensive, consumer-quality saws rather than the professional grade equipment I grew up around.

Moonbear said:
Yep, it's definitely a versatile tool. Just curious...does anyone else besides me call the thing a tiger saw? That's what we called them when I was a kid. I'm wondering if it's a regional thing, or just an old name that has fallen into disuse due to branding, or if it's because they had to make the name more descriptive (reciprocating saw) when they started making lower grade, inexpensive, consumer-quality saws rather than the professional grade equipment I grew up around.
Tiger saw is the name commonly used around here. Milwaukee and Skil are fairly common, and still good quality.

KSU has the Department of Horticulture, Forestry and Recreation Resources - http://www.hfrr.k-state.edu/DesktopDefault.aspx
Good thinking, Moonbear.

wolram said:
and band aids.
Booze and power tools! I think I'll need more than just bandaids. :bugeye:

Evo said:
Booze and power tools! I think I'll need more than just bandaids. :bugeye:
I think both were supposed to be for after the power tools are done being used. Especially the booze...that's just to help soothe all the aches and pains of whatever caused the need for band-aids! :rolleyes:

Evo, the tree is small (by most standards) and can be felled with a light inexpensive crosscut saw. If you really want a power tool to cut it into pieces, get a reciprocating saw. Best of all, find a neighbor with a fireplace or woodstove and "give" them the tree. Power tools can do a lot of damage in a very short time when "stuff" happens. I have all of my fingers and toes, though I have had some close calls (especially when my wife and I rented a farm with an uninsulated old brick house and I had to cut 15-20 cords a year to heat the place). You have a very minor situation that you should not try to resolve by buying and using a power tool that can injure or kill you.

Last edited:
No kidding! We live in timber country. My wife, Tsu, is an X-Ray/CT tech who has seen many logging injuries in the ER. They are usually reeeeeealy ugly. Also, I nearly [literally] cut my head in half, right down the middle, when my 30" chainsaw got away from me while cutting overhead. When the limb went it came right at me - pushing the blade down onto my head while still engaged and running full throttle.

But the thing that I notice is how easily one grows careless with familiarity. I tend to swing around the 14" saw like a toy during thoughtless moments. I keep trying to remind myself that one mistake, just for a moment, can mean the loss of a finger or toe, or worse. A sharp 14" saw can cut through a one inch fir branch in about a half second.

Last edited:
Ok Ivan, so now I invision a Frankinstine-ish alien image of you:eek:

I did know a guy called Leaning Jack...he leaned because a chainsaw ripped apart the muscles of his left leg.

Ivan Seeking said:
No kidding! We live in timber country. My wife, Tsu, is an X-Ray/CT tech who has seen many logging injuries in the ER. They are usually reeeeeealy ugly. Also, I nearly [literally] cut my head in half, right down the middle, when my 30" chainsaw got away from me while cutting overhead. When the limb went it came right at me - pushing the blade down onto my head while still engaged and running full throttle.
Ummm - there is a thing called a 'hard hat' and one wears such a hat to avoid heavy, hard or sharp things from coming in contact with one's head. :uhh: :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Safety googles/glasses, work boots with steel toes, work gloves, are a must, and in the case of timber cutting with power tools, shin guards are strongly recommended.

A hard hat vs a full throttle chain saw? Well it might hide the gore Best bet if you 100% have to use a chain saw have a buddy around to lend a hand. Even my little 12inch saw can still give you some scary moments, more so because the chain is too old and streatched (tents to slip off the end and bung up :bugeye: )

Ok, I've nixed the chainsaw idea. Maybe the sawzall. That looks nifty.

Astronuc said:
Ummm - there is a thing called a 'hard hat' and one wears such a hat to avoid heavy, hard or sharp things from coming in contact with one's head. :uhh: :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Safety googles/glasses, work boots with steel toes, work gloves, are a must, and in the case of timber cutting with power tools, shin guards are strongly recommended.

Well, I was a real city boy back then. :biggrin:

Evo said:

Good idea.

The day after.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 310
Too late; Evo is going for it...

http://pi.lib.uchicago.edu/1001/dig/aep2003/aep-was177.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
wolram said:
The day after.
:smile: Evo, if you cut off anybody parts, just remember to leave one finger attached to dial 911 with. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Too late; Evo is going for it...

http://pi.lib.uchicago.edu/1001/dig/aep2003/aep-was177.jpg
You give me too much credit, I'd be on the top part that's falling. :bugeye:

Evo said:
Thank you! You can at least let off the trigger before sawing of your left thumb instead of letting off the trigger to avoid sawing off your left hand.

Last edited:
Oh yes, I wanted to point out that it was TSU who broke the first Navigator; not me. :tongue:

Here is a great little trick that I learned. The first person to show me how to use a chainsaw - a weekend warrior - went all through the sharpening business with the chains and taught me to sharpen each one by hand...and he only used one chain at a time. :rolleyes:

What you do is you buy about four or five chains and get them all sharpened at once for about three bucks a piece. I never realized how quickly the chains get dull if you hit anything whatsoever. As it turns out, one nick on a rock and you might has well change the chain. It makes all the difference in the world.

Ooh, Evo, I just saw an ad for this and thought of you!

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-1468794-3734213?asin=B000BANMUY&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B000BANMUY|Black__Decker_Alligator_Lopper&ref=tgt_adv_XSC10001"

:biggrin: It's a chainsaw and lopper all in one! :!)

Moonbear said:
Ooh, Evo, I just saw an ad for this and thought of you!

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-1468794-3734213?asin=B000BANMUY&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B000BANMUY|Black__Decker_Alligator_Lopper&ref=tgt_adv_XSC10001"

:biggrin: It's a chainsaw and lopper all in one! :!)
<gasp>

:!) :!) :!)

Target is still open. :approve:

can I have Evo's mentorship is she doesn't make it?

yomamma said:
can I have Evo's mentorship is she doesn't make it?
Of cource,you killed franzbear so you should able to handle anything that happens in GD(and of cource the poltical four) and if greg or chroot doesn't make it you can take there place.

Personally I'd recommend the v8 chainsaw for any tree with a trunk bigger than 4 inches.

http://www.guzer.com/videos/v8_chainsaw.php

Of course you'd have to buy a case of beer to pay off the rednecks to do the job.

Jeff Reid said:
Personally I'd recommend the v8 chainsaw for any tree with a trunk bigger than 4 inches.

Of course you'd have to buy a case of beer to pay off the rednecks to do the job.
Oh my! :bugeye:

Jeff Reid said:

:smile: 4 " eh?

Evo said:
4 " eh?
Talking diameter here. As Arnold would say, why waste time with one of those "girly-man" machines? The V8 will have that tree down in a split second (bad pun intended).

Is there a reason you can't cut down the tree first and then cut off the branches so you don't have to reach overhead? (or were you planing on pruning other trees as well?)

Jeff Reid said:
Is there a reason you can't cut down the tree first and then cut off the branches so you don't have to reach overhead? (or were you planing on pruning other trees as well?)
I think the overhead branches that needed pruning are on otherwise healthy trees that she's not cutting down. The dead tree she's cutting down before fussing over branches, I think.

Moonbear said:
Is there a reason you can't cut down the tree first and then cut off the branches
I think the overhead branches that needed pruning are on otherwise healthy trees that she's not cutting down. The dead tree she's cutting down before fussing over branches, I think.
Ok, so this wasn't a case of an excessively blonde moment.

Jeff Reid said:
Ok, so this wasn't a case of an excessively blonde moment.
Nah...I'm the blonde, Evo is the brunette. :biggrin:

Wait I just realized somthing that would be problem if Evo does get a chain saw:
Do to enviormentilist gourp PETTA(People for ethical treatment of Tree's Angency) capgian against goable warming. Al Gore's new movie about goable warming is being used to brain wash high ranking government officals to get PETTA to have fedrel government funding to do secert wiretapping on people who buy chainsaw's which are now consdired a WMD. So if we ever want to see Evo again we have to prevent this form happing!

chainsaw's which are now consdired a WMD
That would be Weapons of Member Detachment? will have to ask Franz about this after he's been made more "aerodynamic" by the chainsaw / lopper and Franz-o-pulted.