Is the Universe Expanding Faster Than the Speed of Light?

In summary: General Theory of Relativity. This is because the speed of light is limited by the speed of information in a vacuum, and the universe is expanding.In summary, the universe is expanding, but it's not expanding faster than the speed of light.
myric
I'm trying to reconcile the age and size of the universe. The size of the universe is more than twice the distance light can travel in the time it has existed. Does this mean that the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light or that it did initially and has slowed down since? I have read that the universe is actually accelerating due to dark energy or some other unknown effect so I guess it isn't slowing down. Does this come down to relativity and the 14.7B years is in a certain frame of reference?

Space news on Phys.org
myric said:
I'm trying to reconcile the age and size of the universe. The size of the universe is more than twice the distance light can travel in the time it has existed. Does this mean that the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light or that it did initially and has slowed down since? I have read that the universe is actually accelerating due to dark energy or some other unknown effect so I guess it isn't slowing down. Does this come down to relativity and the 14.7B years is in a certain frame of reference?
The light that we see today from the edge of the observable universe was MUCH closer when it was emitted (I forget the numbers but it was 100,000s of millions of light years or less as I recall). After it was emitted, it was carried away by the expansion of the universe, making progress towards us but very slowly even though locally it always travels at c. Where the emitting objects are "now" is about 47 billion light years away and are receding from us at about 3c.

I put "now" in quotes because it's not that simple.

Likes fresh_42
myric said:
Does this mean that the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light

Not really; the expansion doesn't have a "speed", and the rate of increase of the scale factor, which is what pop science treatments usually mean when they talk about the "speed of expansion", is not a "speed" in the ordinary sense and is not limited to the speed of light. In the early universe, the rate of increase of the scale factor was in fact much faster than ##c##.

You might want to check out this fairly recent thread on the various possible meanings of "rate of expansion":

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/cosmologys-sole-rate-of-expansion-is-declining.840505/

myric said:
... The size of the universe is more than twice the distance light can travel in the time it has existed.
...?

Hi Myric, welcome.
A light year is the distance light can travel in one year without the help of distance-expansion.

The pattern of expansion shouldn't be confused with ordinary motion because nobody gets anywhere by it, no body approaches a goal, everybody just becomes farther apart by some percentage growth rate. And the expansion of any given distance is not limited by any particular speed, like c. It could be more it could be less--it's a percentage change like the interest rate in a bank account. the rate changes over time according to an equation that is basically Einstein's gen. rel. equation of 1915. GR is something to accept and get used to

It's not so surprising that light could travel 47 billion light years in a period of time that is just 13.8 billion years, if you allow for expansion

What is the relationship between age and size of the universe?

The age and size of the universe are closely related. As the universe has been expanding since the Big Bang, it has been getting bigger and older at the same time.

How old is the universe?

The current estimated age of the universe is about 13.8 billion years old. This is based on measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the expansion rate of the universe.

How does the size of the universe compare to its age?

The size of the universe is constantly changing and expanding, so it is difficult to accurately compare it to its age. However, scientists estimate that the observable universe has a diameter of about 93 billion light years.

Can the age of the universe be determined by its size?

No, the age of the universe cannot be determined solely by its size. Other factors such as the rate of expansion and the density of matter also play a role in determining the age of the universe.

How does the age and size of the universe relate to the beginning of time?

The age and size of the universe are closely linked to the concept of the beginning of time, often referred to as the Big Bang. As the universe continues to expand, it is believed that it will eventually reach a point where it cannot expand any further, leading to the end of time as we know it.