Ah, solving a prob with two unknown values

• Thread starter adrianchan56
  • Start date
In summary, solving a problem with two unknown values requires identifying the relationship between them and using algebraic methods to solve for the variables. This can involve setting up equations, using substitution or elimination, and solving for the unknowns. It is important to pay attention to units and consider any given information in the problem to determine the most efficient approach. Practice and understanding of fundamental algebraic concepts are key to successfully solving problems with two unknown values.
adrianchan56
:uhh: The problem gave me the final velocity which is 460m/s and that gravity is 10m/s^2 (initial v = 0 when the object goes straight up.). The problem asks for the highest point and how high it will be... So far I've goten vf = 460m/s, vi = 0, and A = 10m/s^2. Hmmm so how do I apply the big five formulas to this problem?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
Use\ v^2=u^2+2as[/tex]

Thanks a lot bro

1. What is meant by "two unknown values" in problem solving?

"Two unknown values" refers to a mathematical problem that involves two variables or quantities that are not explicitly given in the problem. These unknown values need to be solved for using mathematical methods and equations.

2. How do you approach solving a problem with two unknown values?

To solve a problem with two unknown values, you can use algebraic methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. Start by identifying the variables and writing down any given information. Then, use equations and known values to isolate and solve for the unknown values.

3. What are some common strategies for solving problems with two unknown values?

Some common strategies include creating a system of equations, using the distributive property, and factoring. It is also helpful to set up a table or graph to organize information and visualize the problem. Additionally, checking your solutions and working backwards can help to verify the correctness of your answer.

4. Can a problem with two unknown values have more than one solution?

Yes, a problem with two unknown values can have more than one solution. This is because there can be multiple combinations of values for the unknown variables that satisfy the given equations and conditions. It is important to check your solutions and ensure they make sense in the context of the problem.

5. How can I check if my solution for a problem with two unknown values is correct?

To check the correctness of your solution, you can plug the values back into the original equations and see if they satisfy the conditions. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph the equations and see if the intersection point matches your solution. Another method is to work backwards by plugging in the solution into the equations and verifying if it produces the given values.