AHHHH enone knows how to answer dis question?

• Thread starter Joanna
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of renewable energy sources in Canada as an alternative to burning non-renewable fuels for electricity generation. Suggestions include hydroelectricity, wind power, solar power, and biomass plants. However, there is also a debate on whether burning any type of fuel, even renewable ones, is a sustainable solution due to the environmental impact.
Joanna
AHHHH...enone knows how to answer dis question?

hey, i really need help with this question

Most of Canada’s electrical energy is generated at enormous centralized
generating stations that use a variety of fuels, mostly
non-renewable ones. The generated electricity then enters a grid
and spreads out to the consumers, who are often at great distances
from the stations. Suggest an alternative generation and
supply system for your area that may make more sense considering
the variety of renewable energy resources now available.

en one know how to answer dis question? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
No, because WE don't know YOUR area and what kinds of renewable energy sources YOU have available!

Why do we have to burn fuels to produce electricity, especially regarding non-renewable ones? There are a variety of renewable resources. A popular and widely-used alternative is hydroelectricity. It exploits the energy of moving water, like in rivers. The system works by building hydrocentrals where dams are built to produce a huge reservoir of water to provide constant flowing water even when there's drought. The water that is allowed through the dam falls in a cascade and drives a turbine which in turn drives huge generators. Similar mechanisms use tides and waves in the sea, and the wind power captured by windmills. In all these cases the moving water or air rotates turbines. Another renewable source of energy is simply sunlight, which of course abounds. Solar cells capture sunlight in black-painted tubes of water. To heat that water to the point of boiling, concave parabolic mirrors are used that focus sunlight. The resulting steam is used to rotate turbines which produce electricities for us.
I don't know any other system, because there may be new innovations, but this might be enough.

HallsofIvy said:
No, because WE don't know YOUR area and what kinds of renewable energy sources YOU have available!
Of course we know that in Canada there are rivers and winds, and also sea tides of big amplitude. I may doubt about sunlinght, since Canada usually experiences bad weather, but that's an option also.

yeah, it's simple really,
just mention hydroelectricity, solar power - biomass plants, half my physics course last year was on this.
Biomass is an odd one, as it involves leaving animal waste (we investigated chicken poo...thats the british education system for you) to produce methane, not sure of the equations etc, but i could look it up.
Hydroelectricty (sp) is putting huge turbines in dams (locally possibly rivers, water falls etc...) and then converting the energy from the water pushing thru the turbines into electricity.
Wind power, same idea as the hydroelectricity one, turbines turn like windmills turn and then that turning motion is converted into electricity - again, i could look up how, can't remeber off the top of my head...
solar power, have no idea how this works, but I'm sure there are plenty of websites that can help you there

neho
good luck

Padford said:
yeah, it's simple really,
just mention hydroelectricity, solar power - biomass plants, half my physics course last year was on this.
Biomass is an odd one, as it involves leaving animal waste (we investigated chicken poo...thats the british education system for you) to produce methane, not sure of the equations etc, but i could look it up.
Hydroelectricty (sp) is putting huge turbines in dams (locally possibly rivers, water falls etc...) and then converting the energy from the water pushing thru the turbines into electricity.
Wind power, same idea as the hydroelectricity one, turbines turn like windmills turn and then that turning motion is converted into electricity - again, i could look up how, can't remeber off the top of my head...
solar power, have no idea how this works, but I'm sure there are plenty of websites that can help you there

neho
good luck
I think methane is not renewable in the same way as water, wind and solar radiation are. It is potentially renewable. But as you said, it's not a very cheerful alternative :biggrin: .

I remeber it from year 11 geography, when we were studying the pokot tribe in kenya, i think - we looked into some forms of renewable energy they used, subsistance and all that...and they had a biomass pit, per say, and baisically they threw animal poo into it, it then heated up - lots of NICE methane was produced, syphned off and used to cook food. very clean methane, not so nice to clean tho...

Joanna said:
hey, i really need help with this question

Most of Canada?s electrical energy is generated at enormous centralized
generating stations that use a variety of fuels, mostly
non-renewable ones.
This statement is false. From Encarta:
In 2001 Canada?s annual output of electricity was 566 billion kilowatt hours, of which 58 percent was provided by hydroelectric plants, 13 percent by nuclear power plants, and 27.98 percent by conventional thermal plants using fossil fuels.

Padford said:
I remeber it from year 11 geography, when we were studying the pokot tribe in kenya, i think - we looked into some forms of renewable energy they used, subsistance and all that...and they had a biomass pit, per say, and baisically they threw animal poo into it, it then heated up - lots of NICE methane was produced, syphned off and used to cook food. very clean methane, not so nice to clean tho...
Why couldn't these people cook the food with the wood they were using to heat up the biomass pit?
Anyway any matter that traps chemical energy and that can be renewed can be burned to produce energy, to provide the means to rotate that blessed turbine... Including methane, wood, and so on.

the sun heated up the biomass pit, i guess like a compost heap - why did i give biochemistry?!

I think that burning fuels, however renewable, is not a good idea as we are taking the environmentalist point of view. Apart from the risk of depleting them faster than being produced, it is more important to consider the fact that they contribute to the GREENHOUSE EFFECT. This is especially the case with methane production. Biomass (and the guts of herbivours especially) produce the methane gas which is by evidence one of the main gases that contribute to the greenhouse effect. Not considering the CO2 and CO gases that result after combustion.

1. What does the term "AHHHH enone" mean?

The term "AHHHH enone" is a play on words, combining the sound of someone screaming "ahhhh" with the word "unknown." It is often used to express frustration or confusion about a topic that is difficult to understand or answer.

2. Why is it difficult for anyone to answer this question?

This question may be difficult to answer because it is open-ended and does not provide enough context or information. It is important to be specific and clear when asking a question to increase the likelihood of receiving a helpful response.

3. Can someone provide a general answer to this question?

Since this question is vague and does not provide enough information, it is difficult to provide a general answer. It would be helpful to provide more details or clarify the question to receive a specific and useful response.

4. Is there a specific topic or subject related to this question?

Without more context or information, it is unclear what topic or subject this question is referring to. It is important to be specific when asking a question in order to receive a relevant answer.

5. How can I better phrase this question to receive a helpful answer?

To receive a helpful answer, it is important to be specific and provide enough context or information in the question. Consider including relevant details and being clear about what you are trying to understand or learn.