Air pressure needed for ballast

In summary, to find the air pressure (in kpa) needed to blow water out of the ballast tanks of a submarine submerged at a depth of 3150 ft in the Atlantic Ocean, you can use the formula P=rho*g*h, where P is the pressure, rho is the density of seawater (1000 kg/m^3), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.801 m/s^2), and h is the depth in feet. By plugging in the given values, the pressure exerted by the water is approximately 9409676.928 pascals, which is equivalent to 9410 kpa. It is important to remember to use metric units for this calculation.
doodles
A submarine is submerged to a depth of 3150 ft in the Atlantic Ocean. What air pressure (in kpa) is needed to blow water out of the ballast tanks?

I know the answer is 9410 kpa but I have been going in circles trying to figure this out.

P=hd using seawater density of 64.0 pound feet cubed did not work for me.

Thanks for helping:)
Doodles

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's work in metric units. P=rho*g*h, and you know all three variables, so you can find P. That's the pressure exerted by the water. You have to add on the pressure exerted by the atmosphere, and that's your answer.

Thanks Ideasrule:smile:

P=1000kg/m^3(9.801m/s^2)(3150ft)(1/3.281ft)=9409676.928 pascals= 9410kpa

I made a mistake and was using 9.81m/s^2 instead of 9.801m/s^2

I still can't figure out how I got pascals out of kg/m^3 s^2 any suggestions? These type of conversions get tricky.

1. What is the ideal air pressure needed for ballast?

The ideal air pressure for ballast varies depending on the type of ballast being used. Generally, the recommended pressure is between 5-10 psi for most types of ballast.

2. Why is air pressure important for ballast?

Air pressure plays a crucial role in ballast because it helps to evenly distribute the weight of the ballast material, providing stability and preventing it from shifting or moving during transport.

3. How do I measure air pressure for ballast?

To measure air pressure for ballast, you will need a tire pressure gauge. Simply attach the gauge to the valve stem and read the pressure indicated on the gauge. Make sure to check the pressure regularly to ensure it is within the recommended range.

4. What happens if I use too much or too little air pressure for ballast?

If you use too much air pressure, the ballast may become too rigid and not provide enough weight to stabilize the cargo. On the other hand, using too little air pressure can cause the ballast to shift or move, leading to potential damage to the cargo and the transportation vehicle.

5. Can I use any type of air for ballast?

No, it is important to use only clean and dry air for ballast. Moisture or debris in the air can cause the ballast material to clump together or become less effective, compromising its stability and weight distribution.