How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile?

In summary, air resistance affects trajectory by causing an angle between the velocity and the direction of air resistance. The trajectory does not follow a parabolic shape, as the angle between the velocity and the direction of air resistance affects the trajectory.
bomba923
Mathematically, how would air resistance affect trajectory?
Suppose I shoot a cannonball with initial velocity [itex] v_0 [/itex] at an angle of elevation [tex] \theta [/tex]. Air resistance is a force antiparallel to velocity, represented by the equation (according to Barron's Physics C review book!) [itex] \vec F_{air} = - c \cdot \vec v [/itex], where [itex] c [/itex] is a constant SI-expressed in kg/sec.
Because the direction of velocity changes with [itex] t [/itex], so does, as well, the direction of air resistance. To represent its effect in the x & y directions, let [itex] \alpha [/itex] represent the instantaneous angle that [itex] \vec v [/itex] makes with the x-axis. Thus, using 2D Cartesian, I represent the velocities as
[tex] \left\{ \begin{gathered} \vec v_x = \left| {v_0 } \right|\cos \theta - t\left( {c \cdot \vec v} \right)\cos \alpha \hfill \\
\vec v_y = \left| {v_0 } \right|\sin \theta - t\left( {\vec g + c \cdot \vec v \cdot \sin \alpha } \right) \hfill \\ \end{gathered} \right\} [/tex]
*But how do I find y(t) and x(t) ? :redface: ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the equations you are looking for are:

[tex]\frac {dv_x}{dt} = -c v_x[/tex]

[tex]\frac {dv_y}{dt} = -g - c v_y[/tex]

Try solving them for [itex]v_x[/itex] and [itex]v_y[/itex] and then integrating to find x and y.

Try letting [itex]w = v_y + \frac {mg}{c}[/itex]. That should simplify things. Don't forget to transform back to [itex]v_y[/itex] when you're done.

(Hehe-this got moved to homework "College level" yet this is not homework and I'm just a curious HS student:smile:)
Anyway, both differentials are simple enough, so considering mass properly (b/c initially I considered it improperly):
*Since [itex] v_{x,0} = v_0 \cos \theta [/itex],
[tex] m\frac{{dv_x }}{{dt}} = - cv_x \Rightarrow v_x = v_0 e^{ - ct/m} \cos \theta [/tex]
*Since [itex] v_{y,0} = v_0 \sin \theta [/itex],
[tex] m\frac{{dv_y }}{{dt}} = - mg - cv_y \Rightarrow v_y = \frac{m}{c}\left[ {\left( {g + cv_0 m^{ - 1} \sin \theta } \right)e^{ - ct/m} - g} \right] [/tex]
-----------------------------
Hmm...will trajectories affected by air resistance in the form [itex] \vec F_{air} = c \cdot \vec v [/itex] deviate from a parabolic shape? I integrated both [itex] v_x [/itex] and [itex] v_y [/itex] (where [itex] c \ne 0 [/itex]) with respect to time...and it appears that the trajectory deviates from a parabolic shape...hmm..

Last edited:

What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It is caused by the collision of air molecules with the surface of the object moving through the air.

How does air resistance affect the trajectory of an object?

Air resistance can cause an object to deviate from its intended trajectory by slowing it down and changing its direction. This is because the force of air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion.

What factors affect the amount of air resistance an object experiences?

The amount of air resistance an object experiences depends on its shape, size, and speed. Objects with larger surface areas and higher speeds experience more air resistance than smaller, slower objects.

How does air resistance impact the flight of projectiles?

Air resistance can significantly affect the flight of projectiles, such as a ball or a bullet, by slowing them down and changing their trajectory. This is why objects with low air resistance, like bullets, are designed to be aerodynamic.

Can air resistance be reduced?

Yes, air resistance can be reduced by designing objects to be more aerodynamic, using smoother surfaces, and decreasing their speed. However, it cannot be completely eliminated, and it will always have some impact on the trajectory of an object.