Air time/displacement calculator for floor vibration

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a cube lifting off a vibrating floor and how to calculate the frequency for this to occur. It also mentions the importance of considering the maximal acceleration of the floor and the potential for the cube to follow a free fall trajectory. The desired outcome is for the cube to jump 15mm into the air.
wakadarc
This question might be out of the scope of this forum but,

Assume an object (lets say cube) rests on an even floor that at all points is vibrating vertically at the same frequency at all times. (a platform going up and down)

The floor is vibrating vertically at a FIXED displacement.

How can i determine the frequency in which the cube will begin to lift off the vibrating floor? (be in the air at an instantaneous point) Furthermore, can I determine the frequency that will give me X distance off the platform at time T?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Calculate the maximal acceleration of the floor. If it exceeds the gravitational acceleration, the cube might lift off (if there is a way air can get under it). It lifts off at the time the downwards acceleration exeeds the gravitational acceleration, then follows a free fall trajectory until it hits the floor again. Afterwards things can get more complicated.

So pretty much the acceleration of the platform needs to be greater than 1g at least for the box to have air time. I guess I can just over spec it so that the cube will jump 15mm into the air.

1. How does the air time/displacement calculator for floor vibration work?

The air time/displacement calculator for floor vibration works by measuring the amount of air displacement or movement caused by vibrations in the floor. This is typically done using a sensor that detects changes in air pressure or movement.

2. What is the purpose of using an air time/displacement calculator for floor vibration?

The purpose of using an air time/displacement calculator for floor vibration is to accurately measure and analyze the level of vibration in a floor or structure. This information can be used to determine if the floor is stable enough to support certain activities or if it needs to be reinforced to prevent damage or safety hazards.

3. Is the air time/displacement calculator for floor vibration accurate?

Yes, the air time/displacement calculator for floor vibration is designed to be highly accurate in measuring vibrations. However, it is important to ensure that the sensor is properly calibrated and the calculator is used correctly in order to get the most accurate results.

4. Can the air time/displacement calculator for floor vibration be used for all types of floors?

The air time/displacement calculator for floor vibration can be used for most types of floors, including concrete, wood, and steel. However, the type and sensitivity of the sensor may need to be adjusted depending on the material and thickness of the floor.

5. How can the data obtained from the air time/displacement calculator for floor vibration be used?

The data obtained from the air time/displacement calculator for floor vibration can be used to assess the structural integrity of the floor and determine if any repairs or reinforcements are needed. It can also be used for predictive maintenance and monitoring to prevent potential damage or hazards in the future.