Calculating Time Dilation on an Airplane in Special Relativity

In summary, the difference in time to make the trip as seen by Earth and airplane observers can be estimated using special relativity and time dilation. By expressing γ as a binomial expansion in terms of (v/c)^2, where (v/c)^2 is much smaller than 1, we can find 1 - γ and calculate the tiny time difference. Rounding errors may be involved, so it is important to double check the calculations.
awygle

Homework Statement

An airplane travels 1250 km/h around the Earth in a circle of radius essentially equal to that of the Earth, returning to the same place.

Using special relativity, estimate the difference in time to make the trip as seen by Earth and airplane observers

Homework Equations

Time dilation:
[tex]\Delta t' = \Delta t \gamma[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do this by saying that the time for an observer on the Earth is just t=d/v, and time for the observer in the plane is t'=t*[tex]\gamma[/tex], then doing t-t', but I cannot get a decent answer. I suspect rounding errors may be involved since I end up with really big numbers minus really tiny numbers? But I wanted to check to make sure...

Physics news on Phys.org
awygle said:
I suspect rounding errors may be involved since I end up with really big numbers minus really tiny numbers? But I wanted to check to make sure...
Those tiny numbers--the time difference--is what you want. Hint: To find 1 - γ, express γ as a binomial expansion in terms of (v/c)^2. Note that (v/c)^2 << 1.

1. What is the concept of airplane time dilation?

Airplane time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for objects that are moving at different speeds. This is due to the theory of relativity, which states that time is not absolute and can be affected by the speed at which an object is moving.

2. How does airplane time dilation occur?

Airplane time dilation occurs because of the difference in velocity between an airplane and the ground. As the airplane moves at a high speed, time appears to slow down for the passengers on board compared to observers on the ground.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of airplane time dilation?

The magnitude of airplane time dilation is affected by the speed of the airplane, the altitude of the airplane, and the duration of the flight. The faster the airplane is moving and the higher the altitude, the greater the difference in time will be compared to observers on the ground.

4. Is airplane time dilation significant in everyday life?

In everyday life, the effects of airplane time dilation are very small and not noticeable. It is only significant for objects traveling at extremely high speeds, such as airplanes, satellites, and spacecraft.

5. How is airplane time dilation measured and confirmed?

Airplane time dilation has been confirmed through various experiments, including the Hafele-Keating experiment in 1971. This experiment involved atomic clocks on airplanes flying in opposite directions around the world and showed that there was a measurable difference in time between the two clocks. Additionally, GPS technology relies on the principles of time dilation to accurately calculate location and time on Earth.