Looking for an Algebra Book for Self-Study? Check Out This Recommendation!

In summary, the person is looking for a good book to use for self-study of algebra, specifically covering topics from algebra 1 and 2. They have taken these courses in high school but want to refresh their memory and strengthen their foundation. They are open to recommendations and have mentioned the Gelfand series and "Algebra for the Practical Man" as potential options.
CE Trainee
Hi,

I am looking for a really good book that I can use for self study of algebra. I would like the book to contain topics from both algebra 1 and algebra 2. I took both algebra 1 and algebra 2 in high school and did very well in both. However, its been several years and there are certain things that I have forgotten and would like to remember, as well as certain things that I never quite understood( like graphing things ), that I would like to finally be able to grasp. All in all, I'd like a good review of the basics and fundamentals, so I can re-strengthen my foundation. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The Gelfand series have to be one of the best, they will definitely provide a good challenge.

-F

I'm currently going over Algebra again since I seem to struggle quite a bit once heavy algebra comes in so I picked up "Algebra for the Practical Man". It's quite an old book so it might be hard to find but I'm enjoying it, especially some of the problems. Most are trivial but some can get quite messy so it's a good refresher ;) Explanations are also pretty good as it was meant for self-study but since I already know most of the stuff, can't really comment too well. Also, I found the ordering a little weird, you get to the Binomial Theorem and introduction to Complex Numbers chapters before you get around to solving simple linear equations :P

for reaching out for recommendations on an algebra book for self-study. I understand the importance of having a strong foundation in mathematics, especially algebra, which is a fundamental tool in many scientific fields. I would recommend the book "Algebra: A Complete Course" by Robert A. Beezer. This book covers topics from both algebra 1 and algebra 2, and is designed for self-study with clear explanations and plenty of practice problems. It also includes sections on graphing and other topics that you mentioned struggling with. I believe this book would be a great resource for you to review and strengthen your algebra skills. Best of luck in your self-study journey!

Related to Looking for an Algebra Book for Self-Study? Check Out This Recommendation!

1. What is an algebra book for self study?

An algebra book for self study is a textbook or guide that is specifically designed for individuals who want to learn algebra on their own. It typically includes explanations, examples, and practice problems to help the reader understand and apply algebra concepts.

2. Who can benefit from using an algebra book for self study?

Anyone who wants to learn or improve their understanding of algebra can benefit from using an algebra book for self study. This includes students, professionals, and individuals who are simply interested in learning more about algebra.

3. What topics are covered in an algebra book for self study?

An algebra book for self study typically covers a wide range of topics, including basic algebraic operations, equations, functions, graphing, and word problems. Some books may also include more advanced topics such as matrices, polynomials, and logarithms.

4. How should I use an algebra book for self study?

There is no specific way to use an algebra book for self study, as everyone learns differently. However, it is recommended to read and understand the explanations, practice the examples provided, and attempt the practice problems on your own. It may also be helpful to identify any areas that you struggle with and focus on those topics.

5. Can an algebra book for self study replace a traditional classroom setting?

An algebra book for self study can be a valuable resource, but it may not completely replace a traditional classroom setting. In a classroom, there is a teacher who can provide personalized instruction and answer questions in real time. However, an algebra book for self study can be a useful supplement to classroom learning or a standalone resource for individuals who prefer to learn on their own.