1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra book for self study

1. May 11, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I am looking for a really good book that I can use for self study of algebra. I would like the book to contain topics from both algebra 1 and algebra 2. I took both algebra 1 and algebra 2 in highschool and did very well in both. However, its been several years and there are certain things that I have forgotten and would like to remember, as well as certain things that I never quite understood( like graphing things ), that I would like to finally be able to grasp. All in all, I'd like a good review of the basics and fundamentals, so I can re-strengthen my foundation. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2010 #2

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  4. May 11, 2010 #3
    The Gelfand series have to be one of the best, they will definitely provide a good challenge.

-F

5. May 13, 2010 #4
    I'm currently going over Algebra again since I seem to struggle quite a bit once heavy algebra comes in so I picked up "Algebra for the Practical Man". It's quite an old book so it might be hard to find but I'm enjoying it, especially some of the problems. Most are trivial but some can get quite messy so it's a good refresher ;) Explanations are also pretty good as it was meant for self-study but since I already know most of the stuff, can't really comment too well. Also, I found the ordering a little weird, you get to the Binomial Theorem and introduction to Complex Numbers chapters before you get around to solving simple linear equations :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook