Algebra Isomorphisms: Definition & Examples

• Thread starter mnb96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, an algebra is said to be isomorphic to another algebra if there exists a bijective map between them that preserves the algebraic operations. This is the definition of an isomorphism in any setting, and it is also the case for Clifford algebras. In general category theory, an isomorphism is an arrow that is both left- and right-invertible. However, in concrete categories such as groups, algebras, and vector spaces, an isomorphism is a bijective map that preserves the structure and its inverse also preserves the structure.
mnb96
Hello,
can anyone tell me when one algebra is said to be isomorphic to another algebra?.

I am interested in the (Clifford) algebras that are isomorphic to the quaternion-algebra.
I know that, for example, the even subalgebra of [tex]\mathcal{C}l_{3,0}[/tex] is isomorphic to the quaternion algebra.
However I am interested in finding other isomorphic algebras, and for that I need a rigourous definition of "algebra isomorphism".

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you view an algebra simlpy as a set (ring, module, whatever) A with a bilinear product [., .] then isomorphism of two algebras (A, [., .]) and (B, {., .}) means what you would expect, namely:
there is an isomorphism [itex]\phi: A \to B[/itex] such that
[tex]\phi([x, y]) = \{ \phi(x), \phi(y) \} [/tex]
for every x and y in A.

In terms of your example, if [itex]A = \mathcal{C}l_{3,0}[/itex] and [x, y] := xy (the Clifford product) and [itex]B = \mathbb{H}[/itex] (the quaternions) with {x, y} = xy (the usual quaternion multiplication) you can define the isomorphism by
[tex]\phi(1) = 1, \phi(\hat e_1 \hat e_2) = i, \phi(\hat e_2 \hat e_3) = j, \phi(\hat e_3 \hat e_1) = k[/tex]
and extend it linearly.

Thanks a lot CompuChip,
the answer was very clear.

So, for the particular case of testing whether f is a isomorphism between two Clifford Algebras, we have to prove that it preserves the Clifford product, and it is of course linear (and bijective). True?

Yep, and actually that is the definition of an isomorphism in about any setting. It should be bijective (i.e. the two things that are "the same" can be mapped one-on-one) and it should preserve whatever operation you have between them (i.e. it doesn't matter if you apply the operation in one and then apply the isomorphism to the result, or if you first apply the isomorphism to both elements and then the operation of the other).

If you ever get the chance to learn some category theory, you should take a look... there it is made very explicit that all isomorphisms are just bijections between objects (groups, algebras, vector spaces etc) which preserve "the" operation (resp. group multiplication, algebra operations, vector addition, etc)

And the inverse "preserves the operation".

CompuChip said:
If you ever get the chance to learn some category theory, you should take a look... there it is made very explicit that all isomorphisms are just bijections between objects (groups, algebras, vector spaces etc) which preserve "the" operation (resp. group multiplication, algebra operations, vector addition, etc)
In general category theory this is not true, since of course objects need not be sets (in which case arrows cannot be "bijective"). The general definition of isomorphism is an arrow which is both left- and right-invertible. In the concrete categories you mention (groups, algebras, vector spaces,...) this amounts to bijective arrows which preserve the structure and whose inverse does. And in some of those categories it turns out that the inverse automatically preserves the structure (but not always, e.g. in Top: a bijective continuous map need not be a homeomorphism).

What is an algebra isomorphism?

An algebra isomorphism is a type of mathematical function that preserves the algebraic structure of a mathematical object. In the case of algebra, it is a bijective (one-to-one and onto) mapping between two algebraic structures that preserves the operations and relations of the structures.

What is the difference between an algebra isomorphism and an algebra homomorphism?

An algebra isomorphism is a bijective mapping that preserves the algebraic structure, while an algebra homomorphism is a function that preserves the operations, but not necessarily the structure. In other words, an algebra isomorphism is a special case of an algebra homomorphism where the function is also one-to-one and onto.

How do you prove that two algebraic structures are isomorphic?

To prove that two algebraic structures are isomorphic, you need to show that there exists an algebra isomorphism between them. This can be done by constructing a mapping between the two structures and then proving that it is bijective and preserves the operations and relations of the structures.

What are some examples of algebra isomorphisms?

Some examples of algebra isomorphisms include the mapping between the set of real numbers and the set of complex numbers under addition and multiplication, the mapping between the set of matrices and the set of linear transformations under matrix multiplication, and the mapping between the set of polynomials and the set of polynomial functions under addition and multiplication.

Why are algebra isomorphisms important in mathematics?

Algebra isomorphisms play a crucial role in mathematical analysis, as they allow us to treat two different mathematical structures as equivalent. This can simplify calculations and proofs, and also provide a deeper understanding of the underlying structures and relationships between them.