Is every function in the set of all functions a rational function?

In summary, the conversation is about the set of all functions and whether or not it contains the properties of f=f and f \frac{1}{f} =1. The question is also posed about the kind of set the set of all functions is, with a discussion about algebra and fields. The conversation concludes with a clarification that polynomials are a subset of the rationals and that the identity in question is for the field of rationals. The expert summarizer also apologizes for not being able to read minds and suggests that the individual asking the questions should refrain from blaming them for any confusion.
ice109
is the set of all functions a ... (blank), i don't know what the correct classification is, but it should contain the property of the multiplicative inverse. that's basically what the question is. does the set of all (really all) functions contain these two properties:

[tex] f=f[/tex]
and
[tex] f \frac{1}{f} =1[/tex]

for example for polynomial functions this is true

[tex]f(x)=x[/tex]
[tex]f(x)\left(\frac{1}{f(x)}\right)=\frac{x}{x}=1[/tex]

at least so I've been taught since the beginning of time.

but the question is does this hold true for ALL functions. basically what kind of set is the set of all functions.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
(1) What kind of functions? I bet you have a specific domain and range in mind...
(2) What is the definition of the multiplicative inverse of a function?
(3) Think about your example some more...

Incidentally, in the world of algebra, sets are characterized by the fact that they have no operations defined on them. A set only contains elements, it doesn't have an additional structure like a multiplication operation.

So what you meant to say is that you were asking about the algebra whose underlying set is the set of functions and has a multiplication operator. (By the way, how is that operator defined?)

Hurkyl said:
(1) What kind of functions? I bet you have a specific domain and range in mind...
(2) What is the definition of the multiplicative inverse of a function?
(3) Think about your example some more...

1. no no specific domain in mind, this is a question about all domains, all functions, everything.
2. the definition would seem to be as I've described it to be in my example. if it is not please correct me.

i wasn't sure if it was a question pertaining to the algebra over the set all functions or the field over the set of all functions or w/e.

again if i go with what has been taught to me then the multiplication operator is defined as simply the multiplication of the outputs of each function.

you have to understand this is my first steps into the world of real math. so functions as mappings, fields, algebras, operators etc is all very new to me.

ice109 said:
is the set of all functions a ... (blank), i don't know what the correct classification is, but it should contain the property of the multiplicative inverse.

field

that's basically what the question is. does the set of all (really all) functions contain these two properties:

[tex] f=f[/tex]
and
[tex] f \frac{1}{f} =1[/tex]

Are you sure you mean functions? From where to where?

for example for polynomial functions this is true

[tex]f(x)=x[/tex]
[tex]f(x)\left(\frac{1}{f(x)}\right)=\frac{x}{x}=1[/tex]

at least so I've been taught since the beginning of time.

No, you haven't. 1/x is not a polynomial.

matt grime said:
field
thx2u
matt grime said:
No, you haven't. 1/x is not a polynomial.
quite true, it is a rational function and now i am completely confused about how a polynomial function multiplied by a rational function is 1,the identity.

What? Polynomials are rational functions too. Rational functio fields - the basis of algbraic geometry.

matt grime said:
What? Polynomials are rational functions too. Rational functio fields - the basis of algbraic geometry.

i didn't realize this.

you should have just told me that polynomials are a subset of the rationals and that the identity i put up is actually for the field of rationals.

ice109 said:
i didn't realize this.

you should have just told me that polynomials are a subset of the rationals and that the identity i put up is actually for the field of rationals.

Many apologies. I will work on my mind reading skills. Is there anything else you're ignorant of that I should magically guess I need to tell you?

matt grime said:
Many apologies. I will work on my mind reading skills. Is there anything else you're ignorant of that I should magically guess I need to tell you?

considering i didn't realize that a field contains the property of multiplicative inverse and the last statement in post #4, which you might notice is immediately before your first post in this thread, it should be quite obvious that I'm ignorant of many things.

if you don't have the patience to explain things in terms i can understand at least refrain from confusing me.

I did not confuse you. You confused yourself by not understanding the definitions. Don't blame me if you haven't learned the definitions. If you state something to be a rational function I presume that means you understand what they are (you introduced the phrase). If you didn't understand from the definition of rational function (the ratio of two polys) that this clearly means the polys are a subset - polynomial divided by 1 - then that is not my fault, again. I take it you understand that integers are rational numbers. This is no different.

(If you'd used 'could have told me' rather than 'should have told me' when telling me off, I'd've not gotten anywhere near as annoyed).

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of "Algebra of functions"?

The algebra of functions refers to the set of mathematical rules and operations used to manipulate and combine two or more functions. These operations include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, as well as composition of functions.

2. How is the algebra of functions used in real-world applications?

The algebra of functions is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and computer science. For example, it can be used to model and analyze systems and processes, optimize resources and budgets, and design algorithms for data analysis.

3. What are the basic properties of the algebra of functions?

The basic properties of the algebra of functions include the commutative, associative, and distributive properties, as well as the identity and inverse properties. These properties allow for the manipulation and simplification of functions to solve equations and evaluate expressions.

4. How is the algebra of functions related to other branches of mathematics?

The algebra of functions is closely related to other branches of mathematics such as calculus, linear algebra, and abstract algebra. It is a fundamental tool in these fields and is often used in conjunction with them to solve complex problems and prove theorems.

5. What are some common mistakes or misconceptions about the algebra of functions?

Some common mistakes or misconceptions about the algebra of functions include confusing function notation with multiplication, applying the distributive property incorrectly, and not understanding the concept of composition of functions. It is important to carefully follow the rules and understand the concepts in order to successfully use the algebra of functions.