1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra problem

1. Oct 26, 2006 #1

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

This assignment has not yet been turned in, so I do not want any unfair help on this whatsoever. Please just give me a "yes" or a "no." Do not explain.

The question:
    Let G be a group acting on itself by conjugation. Show that if a and b are conjugates in G, then the centralizers C(a) and C(b) are equal iff these centralizers are normal subgroups of G.

My problem:
    I got the normal -> equal direction. But a is a conjugate of itself, and C(a) = C(a), so the other direction would imply that any centralizer is normal. I may be so tired I'm blind, but is this a flawed question?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2006 #2

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

I've handed the homework in. The professor said that the problem should have said that a and b are distinct.

4. Oct 31, 2006 #3

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

The professor talked about this problem today: he had found a counterexample in S6 to the revised proposition stipulating that a and b are distinct. Apparently the other direction should have read something like "if a is in G, and for every b that is a conjugate of a, C(a) = C(b), then C(a) is normal in G."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?