Algebraic Solution to a Puzzle

• Thread starter fishtail
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
So Vc = 1/300 miles/min. (Yes, I know these units are inconsistent, but I'm just trying to use the math that azizlwl started.) So Vc is 3/60=1/20 miles/min. The answer is 3mph.Ratch In summary, the hosts of the Car Talk Show presented a puzzle called "Hat in the River" and emphasized that it should be solved by thinking rather than using algebra. The puzzle involved a vacationer who lost his hat in the river while rowing upstream, then turned around and retrieved it downstream. The hosts were able to solve the puzzle by realizing that no matter which direction the boat moved, it would take the
fishtail
On a recent Car Talk Show there recently was a puzzle from the "Hat in the River" series. The hosts of the show emphasized that the puzzle should be solved by thinking and not by using algebra which may confuse things.

So instead of thinking I tried to use algebra to try to solve the puzzle. I tried to get it down to two equations and two unknowns and it will be easy. So I thought, but I need help.
Here is the puzzle.
THE PROBLEM:
A vacationer decides to rent a rowboat and go for a ride on a river. He rows upstream for one mile and his hat falls in the river and the river's current carries the hat away from him towards the dock where he started. He continues rowing for 10 more minutes(0.1667 hours) in the same direction.
He instantly turns around after 10 minutes and rows to retrieve the hat which has flowed away from him. He rows with the same effort downstream as he rowed upstream. The hat and the boat arrive at the dock at the same time.
What was the speed of the current?

ATTEMPT AT A SOLUTION:

Vb=speed of boat(no current)
Vc= speed of current
Vb+Vc=speed of boat downstream
Vb-Vc=speed of boat upstrem

Some equations: T(h)=time for hat to reach the dock=1 mile /Vc or simply 1/Vc

T(b)=time for boat to reach the dock. T(b) is the sum of three parts of the trip

First part: 10 minutes(0.1667 hours)he continued rowing upstream after he lost his hat.

Second part: 0.1667x(Vb-Vc)/(Vb+Vc) is the time it takes the rower to row from the turnaround to where is hat fell in the water.This is downstream.

Third part: 1 mile/(Vb+Vc) = time it takes to complete the last mile to the dock.

We know: T(h)=T(b) so
1/Vc = 0.1667+.1667x(Vb-Vc)/(Vb+Vc) +1/(Vb+Vc)
Now I am stuck and I need help.I have one equation and two unknowns(Vb,Vc).
I need one more equation with these variables. Anybody have any ideas for the second equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show how the hosts solved it?
By algebra:

(t2+t2)(Vman+Vriver)-10(Vman-Vriver)=1mile.

(10+t1+t2)vr=1mile

1 equation for 2 unknowns

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6119/upriver.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
fishtail,

Forget the algebra and how fast the boat and stream are moving. No matter which direction the boat moves away from the bottle, it will take the same amount of time to get back to the bottle. So if it takes 20 mins to get back to the bottle, and the bottle has traveled 1 mile, the stream velocity is 3 mph.

Ratch

Last edited:
He continues rowing for 10 more minutes(0.1667 hours) in the same direction.
He instantly turns around after 10 minutes
--------
He is in 2 places 10 mins. after the hat dropped onto the river.
One picking his hat
The other making a u-turn.

azizlwl,

He is in 2 places 10 mins. after the hat dropped onto the river.
One picking his hat
The other making a u-turn.

Yes, I made a stupid arithmetic error. It takes him 20 min to catch up to his hat, so the stream flow is 3 mph. Anyway, the thought is there. I edited my previous post to correct this error.

Ratch

Azizlwl. I don't understand your equations .You have two equations and four unknowns.

Awww seriously. I am trying to answer the same problem. People keep saying that answer is 3mph but they just don't understand the situation. Look he doesn't catch up to hat at the exact place where dropped it. He picks it up where the story began 1 mile behind where he dropped his at at the dock. And besides, he will be rowing faster going back for his hat because he is going DOWNSTREAM! (HE ROWS WITH THE SAME EFFORT AS HE DID GOING UPSTREAM). This isn't a 10minutes, then 10 minutes, then another 10 minutes question.

Vb=speed of boat relative to current (miles/min)
Vc=speed of current (miles/min)
t = time for boat to return to dock and catch up with hat (min) after turning around

Boat: 1 + 10(Vb-Vc)-(Vb+Vc)t = 0
Hat: 1 - (t+10)Vc =0

Rearrange and refactor Boat equation:

1 - (t+10)Vc + Vb(10-t) =0

Subtract hat equation from this equation to get:

Vb(10-t) =0

Since Vb is not equal to 0, t = 10. Substitute this into Hat equation to get

Vb = 1/20 miles/min

Related to Algebraic Solution to a Puzzle

1. What is an algebraic solution to a puzzle?

An algebraic solution to a puzzle is a method of solving a puzzle using algebraic equations and principles. It involves using logical reasoning and mathematical operations to find a solution that satisfies all the given constraints of the puzzle.

2. When would one use an algebraic solution to a puzzle?

An algebraic solution to a puzzle is useful when the puzzle involves numbers, patterns, and logical reasoning. It can also be used when the puzzle has multiple steps and requires a systematic approach to solve it.

3. How does one approach solving a puzzle using algebraic equations?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the given puzzle and its constraints. Then, create variables and equations that represent the different elements of the puzzle. Next, use algebraic principles such as substitution, elimination, and simplification to solve the equations and find a solution that satisfies all the given constraints.

4. Are there any tips or tricks for solving puzzles using algebraic equations?

Yes, one helpful tip is to start by identifying any patterns or relationships between the given elements of the puzzle. This can provide clues for creating equations and finding a solution. It is also helpful to double-check your work and make sure that the final solution satisfies all the given constraints.

5. Can algebraic solutions be used for all types of puzzles?

No, algebraic solutions are most commonly used for puzzles that involve numbers, patterns, and logical reasoning. They may not be suitable for puzzles that require creative thinking, such as riddles or word puzzles.