All experimental data for Super heavy nuclei

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for experimental data on half-lives for superheavy nuclei and the difficulty in obtaining this data. It is mentioned that there is a website that provides some of this data, but some information may be missing. The conversation also delves into the calculation of decay probabilities and the use of branching fractions. Ultimately, the need for both half-life and branching fraction data is emphasized in order to accurately calculate these probabilities.
alizade
dear physicists

I need all the half life experimental data available so far, for SHNs, I mean Z=104 - 118

(T1/2)

can you help me?

where do I get access to this data?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is the best site I know of:

http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/reCenter.jsp?z=116&n=176

Likes alizade
phyzguy said:
This is the best site I know of:

http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/reCenter.jsp?z=116&n=176
TNQ dear phyzguy

I saw the site, it is useful

However, I am also waiting for the answers of other friends

alizade said:
I am also waiting for the answers of other friends

If you don't tell us what about phyzguy's link that you need to know and is absent, how can we possibly steer you in the right direction?

Vanadium 50 said:
If you don't tell us what about phyzguy's link that you need to know and is absent, how can we possibly steer you in the right direction?

I wondered that too. It has the half-lives and the decay paths. What else are you looking for?

Vanadium 50 said:
dear Vanadium 50
let me explain
for example open following link related to in Cn283
http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/reCenter.jsp?z=112&n=171

alpha decay probability is 50% and spontaneous fission probability is 50% (various nuclei are in the same condition by to distinct percentage)

but in that chart we have just 1 half life for Cn283 that is related to alpha dacay or related to spontaneous fission
so another data is absent
if 4.0 s +13-7 is belong to alpha decay then what is half life of spontaneous fission
am i right?

Last edited by a moderator:
phyzguy said:
I wondered that too. It has the half-lives and the decay paths. What else are you looking for?
dear phyzguy
as i said
when we have 2 or more types of decay we need 2 or more data for half life
but in that link and another references just 1 number reported as half life
may be I am wrong

There is just one half life. It is the time until 50% decayed, no matter which type of decay happened.

You can get partial decay widths (sometimes interpreted as a "partial half life") from the half life and the branching fractions.

mfb said:
There is just one half life. It is the time until 50% decayed, no matter which type of decay happened.

You can get partial decay widths (sometimes interpreted as a "partial half life") from the half life and the branching fractions.
dear mfb

Tnq 4 your reply

I think reported half life is related to dominant mode

for probability calculation we need 2 half lifes to use following formulas:

P% alpha decay =(alpha decay width)/(alpha decay width + fission width)
P% fission =(fission width)/(alpha decay width + fission width)

for using these formulas we should have both fission and alpha half lifes

No, mfb is right. There is just one half-life which includes all decay modes. You're given the total decay width (from the half life) and the branching fractions, so you can calculate the partial decay widths, just like mfb said.

phyzguy said:
No, mfb is right. There is just one half-life which includes all decay modes. You're given the total decay width (from the half life) and the branching fractions, so you can calculate the partial decay widths, just like mfb said.
I do not understand
Where do these percentages come from?
Is not it necessary to have 2 data to calculate percentages?
How can we calculate these branch ratios with just one half-life?

The branching ratios are not calculated from the half life, they are measured, typically by counting the decays for superheavy nuclides. The half life is measured as well.
From these two measurements together you can calculate partial decay widths.

Member warned that "text-speak" is not permitted at this site
mfb said:
The branching ratios are not calculated from the half life, they are measured, typically by counting the decays for superheavy nuclides. The half life is measured as well.
From these two measurements together you can calculate partial decay widths.

TNQ very much dear mfb

U R right

What is considered "Super heavy nuclei"?

"Super heavy nuclei" refers to elements with atomic numbers greater than 104. These elements are extremely rare and unstable, often only existing for fractions of a second before decaying.

What methods are used to study super heavy nuclei?

The main method used to study super heavy nuclei is through particle accelerators, which can create and observe these elements through nuclear fusion reactions. Other techniques, such as spectroscopy and mass spectrometry, are also used to study the properties of these nuclei.

What is the significance of studying super heavy nuclei?

Studying super heavy nuclei can provide valuable insights into the structure and behavior of the heaviest elements in the periodic table. These elements have unique properties and their study can help expand our understanding of nuclear physics and the limits of the periodic table.

What challenges are involved in obtaining experimental data for super heavy nuclei?

One of the main challenges in obtaining experimental data for super heavy nuclei is their short half-lives, making them difficult to produce and observe. Additionally, the high energies and specialized equipment required to create and study these elements can also pose challenges for researchers.

What has been the most recent breakthrough in experimental data for super heavy nuclei?

In 2016, the discovery of element 117, tennessine, was confirmed by a team of researchers at the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research in Russia and the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in the United States. This was the most recent addition to the periodic table at the time and provided valuable experimental data for super heavy nuclei.