Alpha Rays and the Movement of Atoms' Nucleus

In summary, the nucleus recoils slightly due to the Coulomb forces of the alpha rays, but we can use the reduced mass of the alpha particle in calculations. This is because the mass of the alpha particle is small compared to the nucleus, so the recoil of the nucleus can be disregarded without significantly affecting the results. This concept is also important in nuclear physics experiments such as the Geiger-Marsden experiments.
onurbeyaz
I don't know much thing about rays. When I was studying Rutherford experiment, I saw that nucleus scattered the alpha rays with Coulomb forces, and naturally the opposite forces effect the nucleus. So do the nucles of atom moves to the direction of alpha rays' first direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the nucleus recoils slightly. We can take this into account by using the "reduced mass" of the alpha particle instead of the actual mass, in our calculations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduced_mass

Likes 1 person
onurbeyaz said:
I don't know much thing about rays. When I was studying Rutherford experiment, I saw that nucleus scattered the alpha rays with Coulomb forces, and naturally the opposite forces effect the nucleus. So do the nucles of atom moves to the direction of alpha rays' first direction?

Yes! And, thanks to conservation of momentum, you are able to reconstruct what the nucleus does based on what you measure - this comes up quite often in nuclear physics. In the case of the Geiger–Marsden experiments (aka the Rutherford experiment - Rutherford's students did all the work here), the mass of the alpha particle is small compared to the mass of the gold nucleus so you can safely disregard the recoil of the nucleus - the answer won't change much.

Likes 1 person

Related to Alpha Rays and the Movement of Atoms' Nucleus

1. What are Alpha Rays?

Alpha rays are a type of radiation that is emitted by certain elements, such as uranium and radium. They consist of positively charged particles called alpha particles, which are identical to the nucleus of a helium atom.

2. How do Alpha Rays affect the movement of atoms' nucleus?

Alpha rays have a high energy and can cause the atoms' nucleus to become unstable. This can lead to changes in the structure of the nucleus, such as radioactive decay or nuclear reactions.

3. Can Alpha Rays be harmful to living organisms?

Yes, alpha rays can be harmful to living organisms if they are exposed to a large amount of radiation. They can damage cells and DNA, which can lead to health problems or even death.

4. What are some practical applications of understanding Alpha Rays and the movement of atoms' nucleus?

Understanding alpha rays and the movement of atoms' nucleus is crucial in the field of nuclear physics and energy production. It is also used in medical imaging and cancer treatment, as well as in industrial applications such as smoke detectors.

5. How do scientists study and measure Alpha Rays?

Scientists use specialized equipment, such as Geiger counters or cloud chambers, to detect and measure alpha rays. They can also analyze the energy and direction of the particles to gain a better understanding of their behavior and effects on the movement of atoms' nucleus.