Alternative Energy Windmill Ideas

In summary, the problem is to build a windmill that can lift 200 grams, 12 inches in 2 minutes or less using mostly recycled materials and a budget of $15. The proposed idea involves using an abundance of blades, a ramp and a drive shaft connected to a string to pull a small vehicle. The success of the windmill depends on its design and balance, rather than the number of blades. Alternative ideas such as using pulleys have also been suggested.
jstew2189
Here's the problem...

I am to build a simple windmill (small scale) to lift an x amount of weight twelve inches above the base plane. The required amount is to lift 200 grams, 12 inches in 2 minutes or less. The materials are to be mostly recycled; however, I am alotted $15 to buy any new materials needed. The windmill will be sat in front of a standard box fan to turn the mill.

The basis for my idea is this:
1. An abundance of blades, with a decent amount of pitch. Material not yet known
2. To lift the weight, I will pull a small vehicle up a ramp that will eventually become 12 inches high.
3. The windmill part will turn a drive shaft. This drive shaft will be connected via belt to another drive shaft. This shaft will have a string that will wrap around it to pull the car up the ramp.

What I wanted to know is...
what is the basis to have a successful windmill? Is more blades or less blades good? Minimizing air unaffected going through is key right?

Could anyone give me some alternative ideas that would succeed?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you put any thought into the use pulleys?

Dear friend,

We can get the Power generated from a wind mill using the formula p=1/2dAV^3

where d is air density in Kg/m^3, A is the swept Area again depends on Blade Dia, and v

is the wind speed in m/sec. The blade has to be aerodynamically designed and

balanced and I think nothing related to no. of blades.

Your input is great, rsrajeesh, but jstew posted his question nearly 4 months ago, to put things into perspective. Try helping out people who have more current questions - people who don't get their questions answered within 2 weeks generally won't ever look back on them.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of alternative energy windmills?

Alternative energy windmills, also known as wind turbines, are used to convert the wind's kinetic energy into electricity. This electricity can then be used as a clean and renewable source of energy to power homes, businesses, and other structures.

2. How do windmills generate electricity?

Windmills have large blades that are designed to catch the wind and rotate. This rotation spins a shaft connected to a generator, which converts the mechanical energy into electricity. The electricity is then sent to a power grid or stored in batteries for later use.

3. Are there different types of alternative energy windmills?

Yes, there are several different types of alternative energy windmills, including horizontal-axis wind turbines, vertical-axis wind turbines, and offshore wind turbines. Each type has its own unique design and advantages.

4. What are the benefits of using alternative energy windmills?

One of the main benefits of alternative energy windmills is that they provide a clean and renewable source of energy. They also produce no air or water pollution and have a relatively small land footprint. Additionally, they can help reduce reliance on fossil fuels and can save money in the long run by reducing energy costs.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to using alternative energy windmills?

One challenge of using alternative energy windmills is that they require a consistent and strong wind source to generate electricity. This can limit their effectiveness in certain locations. There are also concerns about the potential impact on wildlife and the environment, as well as the initial cost of installing windmills. However, ongoing advancements in technology are addressing these challenges and making wind energy a more viable option.