Alternative to Kleppner & kolenkow problems

• Classical
  • Thread starter gstroot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kleppner
In summary, based on the individual's background, they may find one of the other books more accessible.
gstroot
Hey all,

I'm loving an Introduction to Mechanics, but I'm finding the problems in the book are quite hard. Is there another book I could do for intro problems?

I'd still like to do the problems in an introduction to mechanics, but I need some easier problems as a base

Physics news on Phys.org
The next step "down" from K&K is occupied by lots of calculus-based intro physics books: Halliday/Resnick/Walker, Young/Freedman, etc. Maybe also French's "Newtonian Mechanics", although I think that might be more like K&K.

Try doing the problems from Resnick and Halliday first. The difficult quotations m questions in this book will lead you to the harder ones in Kleppner more gradually.

Aniruddha@94 said:
Try doing the problems from Resnick and Halliday first. The difficult quotations m questions in this book will lead you to the harder ones in Kleppner more gradually.
Just the answer I was looking for. Thanks for the advice and hopefully I can get everything figured out. Klepner is hard but invigorating when you finally understand it.

Cheers!

I was never very good at Physics and found their problems quite inaccessible, even though I'm good at Maths. But, a similar source of problems is David Morin's book about Classical Mechanics. Check it out.

Maybe Try Taylors book? I liked how he beat the explanations to death.

Maths Absorber said:
I was never very good at Physics and found their problems quite inaccessible, even though I'm good at Maths. But, a similar source of problems is David Morin's book about Classical Mechanics. Check it out.

Morin's problems are annoying, and depend on trickery to solve more often than not. I doubt this will help him.

MidgetDwarf said:
Maybe Try Taylors book? I liked how he beat the explanations to death.

I wouldn't do that, Taylor is where you should go after K&K.

Student100 said:
Morin's problems are annoying, and depend on trickery to solve more often than not. I doubt this will help him.
I wouldn't do that, Taylor is where you should go after K&K.

I can see that. Maybe I found Taylor easier than K&K because I had the math background. I had already completed 3 semesters of Calculus , 2 books on Linear Algebra, Discrete Math, and completed Geometry by Moise. But I did like the extra explanations Taylor provided and I felt that K&K could have maybe explained some topics a bit more.

Upon pointing this out, I may retract my statement. I am a Math major and not a physics major. So excuse my bad suggestion OP.

1. What is "Alternative to Kleppner & Kolenkow problems"?

"Alternative to Kleppner & Kolenkow problems" is a set of physics problems and exercises that cover a wide range of topics, designed as an alternative to the popular textbook "An Introduction to Mechanics" by Kleppner and Kolenkow. These problems are meant to challenge students and enhance their understanding of mechanics.

2. Who created "Alternative to Kleppner & Kolenkow problems"?

The "Alternative to Kleppner & Kolenkow problems" were created by Dr. David Morin, a physics professor at Harvard University. He developed these problems as an alternative to the traditional textbook approach, in order to provide students with a more engaging and challenging learning experience.

3. What makes "Alternative to Kleppner & Kolenkow problems" different from other physics problems?

The "Alternative to Kleppner & Kolenkow problems" are unique in that they are designed to be more conceptual and challenging, rather than focusing on simple numerical calculations. These problems require a deep understanding of fundamental physics concepts and encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. How can "Alternative to Kleppner & Kolenkow problems" be used in the classroom?

The "Alternative to Kleppner & Kolenkow problems" can be used as supplemental material in a physics course, in addition to the textbook. They can also be used as a source for extra credit assignments or as practice problems to supplement traditional homework. Additionally, these problems can be used in a flipped classroom setting, where students work on the problems outside of class and then discuss them in class.

5. Are there solutions available for "Alternative to Kleppner & Kolenkow problems"?

Yes, Dr. Morin has published a solutions manual for the "Alternative to Kleppner & Kolenkow problems" on his website, making them accessible to both students and instructors. The solutions manual includes detailed explanations and diagrams, making it a valuable resource for understanding the solutions to these challenging problems.