Am I correctly using the properties of the supremum in this proof?

In summary: Therefore, there exists an element b ∈ B that is an upper bound for sup A.In summary, we can show that if sup A < sup B, there exists an element in B that is an upper bound for sup A, by setting ε = sup B - sup A and using Lemma 1.3.7.
jdinatale
Hi, I was wondering if I correctly applied the properties of the supremum of a set to solve the following proof. I feel like I "cheated" in the sense that I said, "Let s = Sup(B) - epsilon.

Homework Statement

If [itex]\sup A < \sup B[/itex], then show that there exists an element [itex]b \in B[/itex] that is an upper bound for [itex]\sup A[/itex].

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

proof3.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You are essentially correct but here are some thoughts. This element s you claim is any arbitrary upper bound for A. Being any arbitrary upper bound for A there is no guarantee that s is less than sup B (hence epsilon is positive). You would need to argue that such an s exists between sup A and sup B. This isn't hard. But take this even further: recall sup A itself is already an upper bound for A, so instead of using this extra s, your proof works fine using just sup A (which we don't need to argue is less than sup B because it is given to us).

Your intuition that you cheated is so probably because there are a few small steps in reasoning jumped over by invoking lemma 1.3.7. If you think through lemma 1.3.7 as well, I believe you will feel more confident in your argument. (The crux of the lemma, of course, is that sup B is the least upper bound for B, hence there must be elements in B arbitrarily close to sup B.)

Tedjn said:
You are essentially correct but here are some thoughts. This element s you claim is any arbitrary upper bound for A. Being any arbitrary upper bound for A there is no guarantee that s is less than sup B (hence epsilon is positive). You would need to argue that such an s exists between sup A and sup B. This isn't hard. But take this even further: recall sup A itself is already an upper bound for A, so instead of using this extra s, your proof works fine using just sup A (which we don't need to argue is less than sup B because it is given to us).

Your intuition that you cheated is so probably because there are a few small steps in reasoning jumped over by invoking lemma 1.3.7. If you think through lemma 1.3.7 as well, I believe you will feel more confident in your argument. (The crux of the lemma, of course, is that sup B is the least upper bound for B, hence there must be elements in B arbitrarily close to sup B.)

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I'm not sure what you mean by disregard s. I reworked my proof and found I needed to use an s. What are your thoughts on the new proof?

proof4.jpg

Yes, this works. Here is what I meant by not using s, however. See if this also makes sense as a simplification:

We know sup A < sup B. Let ε = sup B - sup A, which is positive. By Lemma 1.3.7, there exists a b ∈ B such that b > sup B - ε = sup A. Thus, b is an upper bound for A.

1. What is the supremum in mathematics?

The supremum, denoted as sup, is the least upper bound of a set of numbers. In other words, it is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in the set.

2. How do I know if I am using the properties of the supremum correctly in a proof?

In order to use the properties of the supremum correctly, you should first identify the set of numbers you are working with and its supremum. Then, you can check if your proof involves the properties of the supremum, such as the fact that it is an upper bound and any number less than the supremum is not an upper bound.

3. Can the supremum be a negative number?

Yes, the supremum can be a negative number. As long as it is the least upper bound of the set of numbers, it does not matter if it is positive or negative.

4. Is the supremum always unique?

No, the supremum may not always be unique. In cases where the set of numbers has more than one upper bound, the supremum will not be unique. However, if the set has a maximum element, then the supremum will be equal to the maximum element.

5. How can I prove that the supremum exists for a set of numbers?

In order to prove that the supremum exists for a set of numbers, you can use the completeness property of real numbers. This property states that every non-empty set of real numbers that is bounded above has a supremum. Therefore, if you can show that the set of numbers is bounded above, you can conclude that the supremum exists.