Am I crazy or is my book wrong?

In summary: If he finds it annoying that someone pointed out a mistake in his text, then he has no business being a physicist, or an educator for that matter.Zz.
yjl
Hey all,

My book says/does the following.

Use the following equation for a plane wave
Aantekening 2019-09-07 020126.jpg

Fill it in the klein-gordon equation
Aantekening 2019-09-07 020112.jpg

To get
Aantekening 2019-09-07 020151.jpg

Which results in
Aantekening 2019-09-07 020201.jpg

Is this right? I got something different and no matter how hard I try I can't replicate the same answer. I've gotten the last equation, but without the c to the power of 4. I also feel like they just flat out forgot μ in the third equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
yjl said:
I've gotten the last equation, but without the c to the power of 4.
It should be ##\omega^2 = c^2 k^2 + c^2 \mu^2##, where ##k^2 = k_x^2 + k_y^2 + k_z^2##; if this is what you got then you did it correctly
yjl said:
I also feel like they just flat out forgot μ in the third equation.
Yes.

By the way, what book is this?

Jason

jasonRF said:
It should be ##\omega^2 = c^2 k^2 + c^2 \mu^2##, where ##k^2 = k_x^2 + k_y^2 + k_z^2##; if this is what you got then you did it correctly

Yes.

By the way, what book is this?

Jason
Yes, thank you!

That's what I kept ending up on. :-)

It's not a book that's publicly available. It's my professor's LaTeX book that he wrote for the course. He did say that it's still very much a work in progress, but still..

yjl said:
It's my professor's LaTeX book that he wrote for the course
I hope you'll tell him about this, politely. If it were me, I would appreciate the feedback. :oldwink:

Likes vanhees71 and weirdoguy
jtbell said:
I hope you'll tell him about this, politely. If it were me, I would appreciate the feedback. :oldwink:
Yes, I e-mailed him. Wonder if he'll appreciate or find it annoying to be honest

yjl said:
Yes, I e-mailed him. Wonder if he'll appreciate or find it annoying to be honest

If he finds it annoying that someone pointed out a mistake in his text, then he has no business being a physicist, or an educator for that matter.

Zz.

• Love
Likes vanhees71, jrmichler, berkeman and 3 others

1. Am I crazy for questioning the accuracy of my book?

No, it is completely normal to question the accuracy of information presented in a book. As a scientist, it is important to critically evaluate sources and make sure the information is supported by evidence.

2. How can I determine if my book is wrong?

You can determine if your book is wrong by cross-checking the information with other reputable sources, conducting your own research, and consulting with experts in the field. It is also important to consider the credibility and biases of the author.

3. What should I do if I find errors in my book?

If you find errors in your book, you should first verify the information with other sources. If the errors are significant, you can reach out to the author or publisher to inform them of the mistakes. You can also share your findings with others to prevent the spread of misinformation.

4. Can a book be completely wrong?

It is possible for a book to contain incorrect information, especially if it is based on outdated research or biased perspectives. However, it is also important to consider that new evidence and discoveries can change our understanding of a topic over time.

5. What role does critical thinking play in evaluating the accuracy of a book?

Critical thinking is crucial in evaluating the accuracy of a book. It involves analyzing and questioning the information presented, considering the source and potential biases, and conducting further research to verify the information. Critical thinking helps us to distinguish between fact and opinion and make informed decisions about the validity of a book.